Distributed load - model bridge project

In summary, the conversation was about a bridge project and someone was asking for clarification on the distribution of weight on the loading plate. They were wondering if each long side beam was supporting 10kg if 20kg was applied to the center. They also asked if the weight was evenly distributed or if it was 196N/m. They simplified the load to a point load in the middle to better understand the moments and shears. Ultimately, they needed to find the tension in the cables.
aidan.s

Homework Statement

check out:
2ykjmzr.png

so this is for a bridge project right and that picture is simply a basic design just enough to get the jist to answer my question.

what I am wondering is, if 20kg's was applied to the very centre of that loading plate - is it fair to say that each of the long side beams are supporting 10kg's each? or am i looking at this all wrong

also, 20kg's = 196 Newtons, but in this case - is it 196N/m, or just a evenly distributed load of 196N hence each long side beam supporting 98N

all I am after is just looking for a way to simplify the loading plate so i can find out moments and shears etc, stuff like that

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

at the moment I've simplified the load to a point load in the middle of the loading plate, just trying to clear up my confusion

what i really need to find is the tension in the cables

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump cause i fixed pic, might make more sense now :)

1. What is a distributed load in a model bridge project?

A distributed load in a model bridge project refers to a force or weight that is spread out evenly over a certain area or length of the bridge. This type of load is commonly used in bridge design to simulate the weight of traffic or other external forces that the bridge may experience in real life.

2. How is a distributed load represented in a model bridge?

A distributed load is typically represented by a series of evenly spaced points or markers along the length of the bridge. These points help to indicate where the load is being applied and allow for accurate calculations of the overall load on the bridge.

3. What factors influence the distribution of load in a model bridge?

The distribution of load on a model bridge is influenced by several factors, including the weight and positioning of the load, the type of material used for the bridge, and the design and structure of the bridge itself. Other factors such as wind, temperature, and other external forces can also impact the distribution of load on a bridge.

4. How is the effect of a distributed load on a model bridge calculated?

The effect of a distributed load on a model bridge is calculated by using mathematical equations and principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of moments. These calculations take into consideration the weight, position, and distribution of the load, as well as the strength and stability of the bridge structure.

5. Why is it important to consider distributed load in a model bridge project?

It is important to consider distributed load in a model bridge project because it allows for a more accurate representation of the real-life conditions that the bridge will experience. By simulating the effects of distributed load, engineers and scientists can ensure that the bridge is designed and built to withstand the expected forces and remain safe and stable for its intended use.