Moment of uniformly distributed load

In summary: In this case, the distributed load acts like a force of 800 N/m, which is located at the center of R2.
chetzread

Homework Statement

at R2 , is the moment wrong ? it should be 6R1 -200(2)(1) =1800 , am i right ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

it's 200(2)(1) because the uniformly distributed load is from 2m away from R2 , so force should be 200(2) ??

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:

Homework Statement

at R2 , is the moment wrong ? it should be 6R1 -200(2)(1) =1800 , am i right ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

it's 200(2)(1) because the uniformly distributed load is from 2m away from R2 , so force should be 200(2) ??
Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks to me like the 200 N/m distributed load is centered right smack on R2. In other words, half of that load is to the left of R2, and half to the right: It's distributed evenly spanning 2 m on either side of R2. So the moment around R2 isn't affected by the distributed load (hence the 0 in the "200(4)(0)" term in the attached solution section).

Last edited:
Likes chetzread
collinsmark said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks to me like the 200 N/m distributed load is centered right smack on R2. In other words, half of that load is to the left of R2, and half to the right: It's distributed evenly spanning 2 m on either side of R2. So the moment around R2 isn't affected by the distributed load (hence the 0 in the "200(4)(0)" term in the attached solution section).
we know that force = wx , where w = force per meter , x = distance , so , do you mean , the x of distributed load start from 0 at R2 , and it is measured from R2 to the left and to the right ...If so , then , it should be 200(2)(1) . am i right ?

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 491
chetzread said:
we know that force = wx , where w = force per meter , x = distance , so , do you mean , the x of distributed load start from 0 at R2 , and it is measured from R2 to the left and to the right ...If so , then , it should be 200(2)(1) . am i right ?
There still seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere.

The distributed load is depicted as 200 N/m, and it spans a total of 4 meters. So the total force of the distributed load is 200(4) = 800 N.

This 800 N force is centered directly on top of R2. In other words, it is 0 m from R2. So it's contribution to the total moment around R2 is 200(4)(0) = 0 N⋅m.

If you wanted to break up the distributed load into two forces, each centered 1 m away from R2 on either side, and each spanning 2 meters, you still get the same answer. In that case, one moment will act counterclockwise around R2 and the other clockwise around R2, so the terms will cancel.
200(2)(1) - 200(2)(1) = 0 N⋅m.

[Edited a pair of typos immediately after posting.]

collinsmark said:
There still seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere.

The distributed load is depicted as 200 N/m, and it spans a total of 4 meters. So the total force of the distributed load is 200(4) = 800 N.

This 800 N force is centered directly on top of R2. In other words, it is 0 m from R2. So it's contribution to the total moment around R2 is 200(4)(0) = 0 N⋅m.

If you wanted to break up the distributed load into two forces, each centered 1 m away from R2 on either side, and each spanning 2 meters, you still get the same answer. In that case, one moment will act counterclockwise around R2 and the other clockwise around R2, so the terms will cancel.
200(2)(1) - 200(2)(1) = 0 N⋅m.

[Edited a pair of typos immediately after posting.]
i can't understand the 800N is at 2m away from R2 , (either at the left of R2 or right of the R2 ) , am i right ? how could 800N at the center of R2 ? (refer to the diagram)

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 519
chetzread said:
i can't understand the 800N is at 2m away from R2 , (either at the left of R2 or right of the R2 ) , am i right ? how could 800N at the center of R2 ? (refer to the diagram)
If you want to balance a cube* with 4 meter sides (such that one of its planes is parallel with the ground) you would find the center of balance (i.e., center of gravity) to be in the middle, correct? If you place the cube on the ground (such that one of its planes is flush with the horizontal ground), the center of force of the cube on the ground is going to be in the middle of that 4 m span, not at one of its sides.

*(assume the cube has uniformly distributed mass)

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Likes chetzread
chetzread said:
w = force per meter

You're mixing a physical quantity with a unit of measure.
You may have force divided by distance, or Newtons per metre.

What is a moment of uniformly distributed load?

A moment of uniformly distributed load is a measure of the tendency of a load to cause rotation or twisting around a specific point. It is typically denoted by the symbol "M" and is expressed in units of force multiplied by distance, such as N·m or lb·ft.

How is the moment of uniformly distributed load calculated?

The moment of uniformly distributed load can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the load by the distance from the point of rotation to the center of the load's distribution. This distance is known as the moment arm and is typically denoted by the letter "d". The formula for calculating moment is M = F x d, where F is the magnitude of the load and d is the moment arm.

What is the difference between a uniformly distributed load and a point load?

A uniformly distributed load is spread out over a specific area or length, while a point load is applied at a single point. This means that the magnitude of a uniformly distributed load may vary at different points along the distribution, while a point load remains constant. As a result, the moment of a uniformly distributed load also varies, while the moment of a point load remains the same at all points.

What are some common examples of uniformly distributed load?

Some common examples of uniformly distributed load include the weight of vehicles on a bridge, the weight of snow on a roof, and the weight of people on a floor. In each of these cases, the load is spread out over a specific area or length and can be approximated as a uniform distribution for calculation purposes.

How does the moment of uniformly distributed load affect the stability of a structure?

The moment of uniformly distributed load can have a significant impact on the stability of a structure. If the moment is too high, it can cause excessive rotation or twisting, which can lead to structural failure. It is important for engineers to carefully consider the moment of uniformly distributed load when designing structures to ensure their stability and safety.