Distributed load with overhang and multiple supports

In summary, the speaker has a structure with 3 or more supports and is trying to determine the center support's reaction given an evenly distributed load with an overhang. They initially tried using superposition with 3 supports but are getting a very low, potentially negative, center support reaction. They then calculated the center deflection without the center support and set it equal to the center deflection with only the center support as a point load, before using the results to find the outside support. The speaker is unsure of what they are doing wrong and asks for help, mentioning that their sign convention may be off.
gmreit
I have a structure that can have 3 or more supports. It will carry an evenly distributed load with overhang. I thought I would tackle 3 supports first and solve with superposition but am getting the center support reaction to be very low and will go negative as I move the outside supports more outboard. I calculated the center deflection without the center support first then set that equal to the center deflection with the center support being the only point load. Then took those results back to the original FBD to find the outside support. What am I doing wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hard to say what you are doing wrong without showing your work. With the overhang on each end the center support may likely be negative acting down on the beam, but it should be getting less negative and ultimately positive when you move the outside supports outward reducing the overhang. Your superposition method with deflection analysis should work if you are calculating deflections correctly or using tables properly.

Thanks for the reply. I seem to be getting the opposite responce as I move the outside supports outward. I will take a picture of my work then for you to check. I wonder if my sign convention is off somewhere

gmreit said:
Thanks for the reply. I seem to be getting the opposite responce as I move the outside supports outward. I will take a picture of my work then for you to check. I wonder if my sign convention is off somewhere
This is a homework-like question. Please start a new thread in the homework forum, and make sure you fill out the homework template.

Thread closed.

1. What is a distributed load with overhang and multiple supports?

A distributed load with overhang and multiple supports is a type of load that is applied over a large area and can be supported by multiple points or structures. The overhang refers to the part of the load that extends beyond the supports.

2. How is the load distribution calculated for a distributed load with overhang and multiple supports?

The load distribution for a distributed load with overhang and multiple supports is typically calculated using the principle of superposition, where the total load is divided into smaller loads that are applied at each support point. The distribution of these smaller loads is then calculated using equations or diagrams specific to the type of load and support system.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a distributed load with overhang and multiple supports?

Several factors can affect the behavior of a distributed load with overhang and multiple supports, including the shape and size of the load, the material properties of the supporting structures, and the presence of any external forces or constraints.

4. How can the stability of a distributed load with overhang and multiple supports be ensured?

The stability of a distributed load with overhang and multiple supports can be ensured by carefully designing the supporting structures to withstand the load and by providing additional reinforcement or bracing if necessary. It is also important to consider the potential for any changes or shifts in the load over time.

5. What are some common applications of distributed loads with overhang and multiple supports in engineering?

Distributed loads with overhang and multiple supports are commonly used in various engineering applications, such as bridges, roofs, and aircraft wings. They are also important in the design of machinery and equipment that require support over a large area.