Distribution of charge on two spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about charge distribution between two spheres to achieve no electric force and only gravitational force between them. The question is considered strange and the possibility of a greater force of attraction is discussed.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=04919bddef5b76a4a765a3262f92201f.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the entire charge Q has to be given to any of the sphere such that one charge is neutral ,while the other has charge Q . In this way there would be no electric force between the two spheres and only attractive force between them would be gravitational .

Is my answer as well as my reasoning correct ?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• charge.PNG
    charge.PNG
    4.1 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
You would still get an induced charge distribution on the uncharged sphere, which leads to a small attraction (but still much larger than the gravitational attraction for typical setups).

The question is weird. It would be a nice question if it would ask for maximal repulsion.

I think we have been given condition (d > > R) so that we could neglect the effect of induced charges . I am not entirely sure .

Do you believe that there is a possibility that force of attraction could be greater if charges were distributed differently i.e by not giving complete charge to one of the spheres ?

Last edited:
I don't see how. You can cheat and add +2 Q on one sphere and -1 Q on the other (sum: Q), but I doubt that's the intended solution. It also would mean there is no well-defined maximum.

Related to Distribution of charge on two spheres

What is the concept of distribution of charge on two spheres?

The distribution of charge on two spheres refers to the arrangement of electric charges on two spherical objects. This can occur when these objects are in close proximity to each other and have different amounts of positive or negative charge.

How does the distance between the two spheres affect the distribution of charge?

The distance between the two spheres plays a crucial role in the distribution of charge. The closer the spheres are to each other, the stronger the electric field between them, and the higher the concentration of charges on the surfaces facing each other. As the distance increases, the electric field weakens and the distribution of charges becomes more uniform.

What is the relationship between the charges on the two spheres?

The charges on the two spheres are directly related to each other. If one sphere has a positive charge, the other will have a negative charge of the same magnitude. This is known as the principle of charge conservation, which states that the total charge in a closed system remains constant.

How does the size of the two spheres affect the distribution of charge?

The size of the spheres also affects the distribution of charge. Larger spheres have a greater surface area, allowing for more charges to be distributed on their surfaces. This means that the electric field between the two spheres will be stronger and the concentration of charges on the surfaces will be higher compared to smaller spheres.

What is the importance of understanding the distribution of charge on two spheres?

Understanding the distribution of charge on two spheres is important in various fields of science, such as electrostatics, electromagnetism, and astrophysics. It helps explain the behavior of electric fields and the interaction between charged objects. It also has practical applications in technology, such as in the functioning of capacitors and the design of electronic circuits.