How Does Spin Hall Effect Couple Charge and Spin Current?

In summary, the spin Hall effect is a phenomenon in which an electric current creates a spin current by generating a spin polarization perpendicular to the direction of the charge flow. This coupling between charge and spin currents occurs through the spin-orbit interaction, where the motion of electrons is affected by their spin. This effect has important implications for spintronics, a field of research aimed at manipulating the spin of electrons for electronic devices. By understanding how the spin Hall effect couples charge and spin currents, scientists hope to develop more efficient and reliable methods for controlling spin in future technologies.
semc
Hi,

I have been trying to understand how the spin hall effect comes about. However, everywhere I look I just find 'the spin-orbit interaction couples the charge and spin current'. I really don't understand how does the current couple through the interaction. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this paper by Jorge Hirsch will shed some light on your question; https://arxiv.org/pdf/cond-mat/9906160.pdf. The spin-orbit interaction couples to the spin current by a scattering potential which is the sum of a Coulomb potential and a spin-orbit potential. The scattered current becomes spin polarized with asymmetry with respect to the direction transverse to the charge current direction.

Peace,
Fred

1. What is the spin Hall effect?

The spin Hall effect is a phenomenon in which an electrical current flowing through a material creates a separation of electrons with different spin orientations, resulting in a build-up of spin polarization perpendicular to the direction of the current.

2. How does the spin Hall effect occur?

The spin Hall effect occurs due to the spin-orbit coupling in a material, which results in the electrons experiencing a spin-dependent force when moving through the material. This force causes the electrons to separate based on their spin orientation.

3. What is the difference between the spin Hall effect and the conventional Hall effect?

In the conventional Hall effect, an external magnetic field is applied to a material, causing a separation of charges based on their charge (positive or negative). In the spin Hall effect, no external magnetic field is required, and the separation is based on the electron's spin rather than its charge.

4. What are the potential applications of the spin Hall effect?

The spin Hall effect has potential applications in spintronics, a field that aims to use the spin of electrons to store and transfer information. It could also be used in creating more efficient electronic devices and in developing new materials for quantum computing.

5. How is the spin Hall effect related to other spin-related phenomena?

The spin Hall effect is closely related to other spin-related phenomena, such as the spin Seebeck effect and the spin Nernst effect. These phenomena all involve the generation of a spin current without the need for an external magnetic field. They are also important in the study of spintronics and quantum computing.