Distribution of the zeros of the zeta function

In summary, the article mentions that the function P(x) = 1-(sin(πx)/(πx))2 seems to be, assuming the Riemann Hypothesis is true, to the two-point correlations of the zeros of the Riemann zeta function. According to the Montgomerie's pair correlation conjecture, this means that P(n) =1-(sin(πγn)/(πγn))2 + δn(γn). However, I am not sure whether this is correct, and I need further guidance on the matter.
nomadreid
Gold Member
In http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/the-spectrum-of-riemannium/5, the author mentions that the function P(x) = 1-(sin(πx)/(πx))2 seems to be, assuming the Riemann Hypothesis is true, to the two-point correlations of the zeros of the Riemann zeta function. Going by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_distribution_function, I take that to mean that "it is a measure of the probability of finding a particle at a distance of r away from a given reference particle", whereas a "particle" here would refer to a zero. Since P(x) = 1 for non-zero integers, and if the RH is correct the real part of the non-trivial zeros = ½, this would seem to imply that if y was a non-trivial zero then there exists, for every non-zero integer n, another zero z such that y-z = ± n⋅i . But this sounds wrong. Could someone please point out my error? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
this would seem to imply that if y was a non-trivial zero then there exists, for every non-zero integer n, another zero z such that y-z = ± n⋅i
Can you explain how you reached that conclusion?

Likes nomadreid
mfb said:
Can you explain how you reached that conclusion?

Thanks for the answer, mfb.

For all non-zero integer n, P(n) = 1. That is (if I understand Wiki's explanation), the probability of finding two zeros at a distance of n from one another is a certainty. Since every non-trivial zero of the Riemann zeta function has the form ½ + r⋅i for some real r, then the distance between any two non-trivial roots y and z would be |y-z| = |(½ + ry⋅i) - (½ + rz⋅i)| = |s⋅i| for the integer s= ry⋅i) - rz.

I know that there are of course better approximations to the zeta function, but my question is specifically about this conclusion, which does not appear correct to me. (Once I understand the first assertion in that Scientific American article, I can proceed to misunderstand the parts about the atomic energy levels, but those questions will be put into another rubric.)

I have a partial answer: the American Scientist (sorry, above I mis-cited it as coming from Scientific American) article cited above simplified the equation; in reality, it is normalized, as explained in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery's_pair_correlation_conjecture. There it is explained that the equation is really 1-(sin(πx)/(πx))2 + δ(x). Alas, the Wiki article does not explicitly explain what δ is. However, it does give an expression for δn, where γn is the nth zero, as (γn+1n) log(γn/2π)/2π; am I correct in assuming that the expression really should be P(n) =1-(sin(πγn)/(πγn))2 + δnn)?
I am not sure whether using n as the argument of the function P (which I made up, because the Wiki article only states that the expression is equal to "the pair correlation between pairs of zeros") is correct; it is supposed to jive with the Wiki explanation that "Informally, this means that the chance of finding a zero in a very short interval of length 2πL/log(T) at a distance 2πu/log(T) from a zero 1/2+iT is about L times the expression above. [1-(sin(πx)/(πx))2 + δ(x)] (The factor 2π/log(T) is a normalization factor that can be thought of informally as the average spacing between zeros with imaginary part about T.)"
I would be grateful for further guidance.

1. What is the zeta function and why is it important in mathematics?

The zeta function, denoted by ζ(s), is a mathematical function that has a wide range of applications in number theory, complex analysis, and physics. It is defined as the infinite sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers raised to the power s, where s is a complex number. The zeta function plays a crucial role in the study of prime numbers and has connections to many other areas of mathematics.

2. What does it mean for a number to be a zero of the zeta function?

A zero of the zeta function is a complex number s for which ζ(s) = 0. These zeros can be thought of as the roots of the zeta function, similar to how polynomials have roots. The distribution of these zeros is of particular interest to mathematicians, as it has connections to the Riemann hypothesis and the distribution of prime numbers.

3. How are the zeros of the zeta function distributed in the complex plane?

The distribution of the zeros of the zeta function is not fully understood and is a topic of ongoing research. However, it is known that the non-trivial zeros (zeros that are not simply the negative even integers) lie on the critical line Re(s) = 1/2. The Riemann hypothesis, if true, would imply that all the non-trivial zeros lie on this line.

4. What is the connection between the distribution of the zeros of the zeta function and prime numbers?

The Riemann hypothesis states that the distribution of prime numbers is closely related to the distribution of the zeros of the zeta function. In particular, it states that the zeros are evenly spaced along the critical line, which would provide a way to predict the frequency of prime numbers. However, this connection has not been proven and remains one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics.

5. How do mathematicians study the distribution of the zeros of the zeta function?

There are several techniques used to study the distribution of the zeros of the zeta function. One approach is to use analytic number theory, which involves analyzing the properties of the zeta function and its relationship to other mathematical functions. Another approach is to use computational methods to calculate and analyze the zeros. Both of these methods, along with others, have contributed to our current understanding of the distribution of the zeros of the zeta function.