Divergence/Curl of \vec{E}=α\frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}

• Thread starter oddjobmj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
I was right? I'm not sure what I did wrong or how this is wrong. I'm not sure what you're trying to say in the last sentence. I've been trying to understand spherical coordinates and the definitions for a few days so I'm still new to the terminology. I don't know what to google to find out what the difference is between 'orthogonal coordinate system' and whatever is not an orthogonal coordinate system. All of the definitions of 'orthogonal' I've found don't seem to make sense in the context of a coordinate system (in the sense that I don't see how they describe a coordinate system) In summary, the conversation was about calculating the divergence and curl of a
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

Calculate the divergence and curl of [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]=α[itex]\frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Div([itex]\vec{E}[/itex])=[itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]°[itex]\vec{E}[/itex]
Div([itex]\vec{E}[/itex])=[itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]x[itex]\vec{E}[/itex]

Table of coordinate conversions, div, and curl:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

My confusion is stemming from the spherical coordinates. I believe I have the divergence down because the result is a scalar so the direction doesn't matter (phi & theta) so it's just a matter of the magnitude of the field at any given point which is dependent only on the distance from the origin. Or can I not make this assumption? I'm not sure how to bring phi and theta into the mix when dealing with the curl.

For the divergence I know that [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]=r[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] so [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] simplifies to:

α[itex]\frac{\hat{r}}{r}[/itex]

Using the table linked above to find the form of the divergence in spherical coordinates I believe I can ignore the theta and phi 'contributions' because divergence will depend only on r.

div(E)=[itex]\frac{α}{r^2}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂(r)}{∂r}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{α}{r^2}[/itex]

I think the curl should be zero by observation but I don't know how to show this. Can I do the same as with divergence and ignore the theta and phi contributions because this is simply a function of r?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the formula in the table for the curl in spherical coordinates. Then just make sure you do the derivatives correctly. Easy.

I'm sorry for not being more clear. Referencing the table in specific I don't know what A[itex]\theta[/itex] and A[itex]\phi[/itex] are. That's what is confusing me.

Those are the components of [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] in the [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] directions. In your case, [itex]\vec{A}=\vec{E}=a\frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}[/itex].

edit: sorry, accidental double post

ZetaOfThree said:
Those are the components of [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] in the [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] directions. In your case, [itex]\vec{A}=\vec{E}=a\frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}[/itex].

Right, I understand that A is a placeholder for E in the table. It is the components of E in those directions that I don't know how to find.

oddjobmj said:
Right, I understand that A is a placeholder for E in the table. It is the components of E in those directions that I don't know how to find.

In general, ##\vec{E} = E_r \hat{r} + E_\theta \hat{\theta} + E_\phi \hat{\phi} ##

nrqed said:
In general, ##\vec{E} = E_r \hat{r} + E_\theta \hat{\theta} + E_\phi \hat{\phi} ##

Right, I'm trying to find out what Er[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and so on are functionally (starting from the value given for [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] in the problem). I can't take the partial derivative of the general form for E in the direction of theta without breaking E down into the relevant components first. I am given an actual value for E which is a function of r.

oddjobmj said:
Right, I'm trying to find out what Er[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and so on are functionally (starting from the value given for [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] in the problem). I can't take the partial derivative of the general form for E in the direction of theta without breaking E down into the relevant components first. I am given an actual value for E which is a function of r.

You should read up on spherical coordinates, it will be very helpful. The ##\theta## and ##\phi## components of ##\vec{E}## are zero because it only points in the radial direction and ##E_r=\frac{a}{r}##.

Likes 1 person
nrqed said:

You are told that ## \vec{E}= a \frac{\vec{r}}{r^2} ##. By comparing with the general form, what do you conclude about ##E_\theta ## and ## E_\phi## ?

Likes 1 person
ZetaOfThree said:
You should read up on spherical coordinates, it will be very helpful. The ##\theta## and ##\phi## components of ##\vec{E}## are zero because it only points in the radial direction.

Which is why I assumed by observation that the curl would be zero. I just wanted to verify that I didn't have to consider a general representation of phi and theta, to be complete, as they vary for any arbitrary r. For some reason I was thinking back to r in cartesian coordinates and projecting it onto some equivalent to x, y, and z for theta and phi. Sorry for the confusion!

Thank you

oddjobmj said:
I believe I have the divergence down because the result is a scalar so the direction doesn't matter (phi & theta) so it's just a matter of the magnitude of the field at any given point which is dependent only on the distance from the origin. Or can I not make this assumption? I'm not sure how to bring phi and theta into the mix when dealing with the curl.

This is wrong. Divergence absolutely depends of the direction of ##\vec{E}##.

You really shouldn't intuit your way through these exercises, you need to do them nrqed's way to find the components of ##\vec{E}## and then plug them into your formulas from the table.
oddjobmj said:
For some reason I was thinking back to r in cartesian coordinates and projecting it onto some equivalent to x, y, and z for theta and phi.

Spherical coordinates is an orthogonal coordinate system, meaning that ## \hat{r}##, ##\hat{\theta}##, and ##\hat{\phi}## are perpendicular, so their projections onto each other are zero.

ZetaOfThree said:
This is wrong. Divergence absolutely depends of the direction of ##\vec{E}##.

You really shouldn't intuit your way through these exercises, you need to do them nrqed's way to find the components of ##\vec{E}## and then plug them into your formulas from the table.

This seems to contradict your earlier statement. In this case E only depends on r. I considered Er which is effectively the function they gave me for E and used the partial derivative equation from the table and the only non-zero component was the one dependent on r. In other words, the partial with respect to theta is zero because only r shows up in the equation which is not a function of theta and thus E is a constant with respect to theta (and phi). The partial of a constant is zero. The calculated divergence in this case is listed above in my original post (non-zero). Do you disagree with the result?

I didn't -just- intuit my way through the problem but I did try to think about the problem and compare that to my results to make sure that I understand what is going on and that the results make sense.

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of the divergence of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field represents the amount of flux (flow) of the vector field per unit volume at a given point. In other words, it measures how much the vector field is spreading out or converging at a specific point.

2. How is the divergence of a vector field calculated?

The divergence of a vector field is calculated using the dot product of the gradient operator (∇) and the vector field. In mathematical notation, it can be written as div(F) = ∇ ⋅ F. For the specific case of E=α\frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}, the divergence would be equal to zero.

3. What does the curl of a vector field represent?

The curl of a vector field represents the amount of rotation or circulation of the vector field around a given point. It is a measure of how much the vector field is "curling" or "swirling" around a specific point.

4. How is the curl of a vector field calculated?

The curl of a vector field is calculated using the cross product of the gradient operator (∇) and the vector field. In mathematical notation, it can be written as curl(F) = ∇ × F. For the specific case of E=α\frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}, the curl would also be equal to zero.

5. What is the physical significance of the equation "Divergence/Curl of \vec{E}=α\frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}"?

This equation represents the electric field of a point charge (α) at a distance (r) from the charge. The vector field is pointing away from the charge and its magnitude decreases with distance, following an inverse square relationship. The fact that both the divergence and curl of this equation are equal to zero is a result of the charge being a point, meaning that there are no sources or sinks of electric field and no circulation around the charge.