Divergence of a radial field ##F=\hat{r}/r^{2+\varepsilon}##

In summary: Naturally, if you write (x,y,z) instead of (x_1,x_2,x_3) then you will use more paper.To save even more paper you can also use the Einstein summation convention and drop the summation symbols.
PhysicsKush
Homework Statement
Let's say we have a radial field ##F=\hat{r}/r^{2+\varepsilon}##. What is the divergence of this field ? You may ignore the origin.
Relevant Equations
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{F} = \left(\left( \frac{1}{r^2 }\right)\frac{\partial(F_{r} r^2)}{\partial r}
+ \left( \frac{1}{r \sin \theta}\right)\frac{\partial(f_{\theta}\sin \theta)}{\partial \theta} + \left( \frac{1}{r\sin \theta}\right)\frac{\partial f_{\phi}}{\partial \phi}\right) dr d\theta d\phi$$
Following (1),
\begin{align*}
\text{div} F = \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{F} &= \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r^2 F_{r}\right) \\ &= \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial }{\partial r} \left( r^2 \frac{1}{r^{2+\varepsilon}}\right) \\ &= \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r^{-\varepsilon}) \\ &= \left( \frac{-\varepsilon}{r^2}\right) \frac{1}{r^{\varepsilon +1}} \\ &= -\frac{\varepsilon}{r^{\varepsilon +3}} \qquad , \text{for} \ \ r \in \mathbb{R} \setminus \{ 0\}
\end{align*}

The solution I'm providing seems to be to simplistic. Perhaps I have missed a step somewhere? Thank you in advance.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it should be more complicated than that?

Likes Abhishek11235 and vanhees71
PeroK said:
Why do you think it should be more complicated than that?
Thank you for your reply. Quite frankly this is my final answer but the reasoning seems quite simple. I just wanted to make sure that I don't miss anything out :)!

Mihail Anghelici said:
Thank you for your reply. Quite frankly this is my final answer but the reasoning seems quite simple. I just wanted to make sure that I don't miss anything out :)!
There's nothing missing that I can see.

Likes Delta2 and PhysicsKush
Mihail Anghelici said:
The solution I'm providing seems to be to simplistic.
You mean "too simple." Simplistic means "oversimplified." The phrase "too simplistic" means "too oversimplified" (as opposed to being oversimplified just enough). It just doesn't make sense.

https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/31/simplistic/

Likes PhysicsKush
vela said:
You mean "too simple." Simplistic means "oversimplified." The phrase "too simplistic" means "too oversimplified" (as opposed to being oversimplified just enough). It just doesn't make sense.

https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/31/simplistic/
Ah English is my fourth language therefore I still make common mistakes, thanks for pointing out this grammatical mistake !

Likes vela and PeroK
Like the others i don't see anything wrong in your work. Maybe it is kind of simple because it is done in spherical coordinates. Try to do it in cartesian coordinates i think it would be one page long or even more!.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
Delta2 said:
Like the others i don't see anything wrong in your work. Maybe it is kind of simple because it is done in spherical coordinates. Try to do it in cartesian coordinates i think it would be one page long or even more!.

[tex]
\sum_i\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left(\frac{x_i}{r^{3+\epsilon}}\right)
= \sum_i\left(\frac{1}{r^{3 + \epsilon}}\frac{\partial x_i}{\partial x_i} - (3 +\epsilon) \frac{x_i}{r^{4 + \epsilon}}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x_i} \right)
= \frac{3}{r^{3 + \epsilon}} - (3 +\epsilon) \frac{\sum_i x_i x_i}{r^{5 + \epsilon}}
= \frac{3 - (3 + \epsilon)}{r^{3 + \epsilon}} = - \frac{\epsilon}{r^{3 + \epsilon}}[/tex] in view of the obvious results [tex]\sum_i x_ix_i = r^2,\qquad\sum_i\frac{\partial x_i}{\partial x_i} = 3,\qquad \frac{\partial r}{\partial x_i} = \frac {x_i} r[/tex]

Likes Abhishek11235, vanhees71, PhysicsKush and 1 other person
pasmith said:
[tex]
\sum_i\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left(\frac{x_i}{r^{3+\epsilon}}\right)
= \sum_i\left(\frac{1}{r^{3 + \epsilon}}\frac{\partial x_i}{\partial x_i} - (3 +\epsilon) \frac{x_i}{r^{4 + \epsilon}}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x_i} \right)
= \frac{3}{r^{3 + \epsilon}} - (3 +\epsilon) \frac{\sum_i x_i x_i}{r^{5 + \epsilon}}
= \frac{3 - (3 + \epsilon)}{r^{3 + \epsilon}} = - \frac{\epsilon}{r^{3 + \epsilon}}[/tex] in view of the obvious results [tex]\sum_i x_ix_i = r^2,\qquad\sum_i\frac{\partial x_i}{\partial x_i} = 3,\qquad \frac{\partial r}{\partial x_i} = \frac {x_i} r[/tex]
Well you have compactified some steps (for example i would like to see the representation of the radial field in cartesian coordinates and the derivatives of ##r=\sqrt{\sum x_i^2}## with respect to each cartesian coordinate) but ok i am more than surprised that it can be done in less than half a page.

Likes PhysicsKush
Everything follows from [tex]r^2 = \sum_j x_j^2[/tex] and thus by the chain rule [tex]
2r \frac{\partial r}{\partial x_i} = \sum_j 2x_j \frac{\partial x_j}{\partial x_i} = 2x_i.[/tex]
As the radial basis vector is [itex]x_i/r[/itex], functions of [itex]r[/itex] alone are not too difficult to deal with in cartesian coordinates; it's when functions depend on [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] that things get messy.

Naturally, if you write [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] instead of [itex](x_1,x_2,x_3)[/itex] then you will use more paper.

Likes vanhees71
To save even more paper you can also use the Einstein summation convention and drop the summation symbols.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the definition of divergence in a radial field?

The divergence of a radial field is a measure of how much the field spreads out or converges at a given point. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the field vector with the unit vector in the radial direction and then taking the limit as the radius approaches zero.

2. How is the divergence of a radial field affected by the value of epsilon (ε)?

The value of epsilon determines the rate at which the field converges or diverges. As epsilon increases, the field will diverge more rapidly, and as epsilon decreases, the field will converge more rapidly.

3. What is the significance of the divergence of a radial field in physics?

The divergence of a radial field is important in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and gravitational fields. It helps us understand the behavior of these fields and their effects on surrounding objects.

4. Can the divergence of a radial field ever be zero?

Yes, the divergence of a radial field can be zero at points where the field is constant or when the field converges or diverges at the same rate in all directions.

5. How is the divergence of a radial field related to its source?

The divergence of a radial field is related to its source through Gauss's law, which states that the net flux of a field through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface. In the case of a radial field, the charge enclosed is proportional to the divergence of the field.