Divergence of Cross Product Relation

In summary, the problem involves proving a relation using the product rule and the given equations (a), (b), and (c). The product rule can be used in the form of ##\partial_i (f\cdot g)=(\partial_i f)\cdot g+f\cdot\partial_i g## and ##\partial_i (f\times g)=(\partial_i f)\times g+f\times\partial_i g##. This can be used in conjunction with equation (a) to prove the given relation without decomposing into components or using Einstein's notation.
advphys

Homework Statement

The problem is given in the following photo:
problem.png

Actually I did the first proof but I couldn't get the second relation. (Divergence of E cross H).

Homework Equations

They are all given in the photo. (a) (b) and (c).

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried is to interchange divergence and cross products as it was given in (a). But I couldn't figure out how I am going to get 2 terms at the end. I also tried to apply the relation in (c), but it does not have any cross product, and I think there is no way to use equation in (b). So how can I prove the equation given at the end by using (a) (b) or (c) without decomposing into components or using Einsteins notation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The product rule, as it appears in (c), is a vector equation. Its ith component is ##\partial_i (fg)=(\partial_i f)g+f\partial_ig##. If you use the definition of the cross product to rewrite the cross products in the problem, you will encounter expressions of the form ##\partial_i (fg)##.

Edit: In this problem, you don't even have to use the definition, since (c) also tells you that if f and g are vector-valued functions, you're allowed to use that ##\partial_i (f\cdot g)=(\partial_i f)\cdot g+f\cdot\partial_ig## and ##\partial_i (f\times g)=(\partial_i f)\times g+f\times\partial_i g##.

That is right. I didn't think using that for cross product. After that I can use (a) to prove the given relation.

It seems this was a little bit dummy question.

Thank you very much!

Looking at the problem again, I see that the final sentence tells you NOT to use the definition of the cross product to rewrite it in terms of components. But you can still use the comment I added when I edited my previous post.

1. What is the formula for calculating the divergence of a cross product?

The formula for calculating the divergence of a cross product is div(a x b) = b · curl(a) - a · curl(b).

2. How is the divergence of a cross product related to the vector calculus identities?

The divergence of a cross product is related to the vector calculus identities through the curl-curl identity, which states that the curl of a curl is equal to the divergence of the gradient minus the Laplacian operator.

3. What is the physical significance of the divergence of a cross product?

The physical significance of the divergence of a cross product is that it represents the rate of change of rotational forces in a vector field. It can also be interpreted as the net flow of the curl of a vector field through a small surface surrounding a point.

4. How do you interpret a negative or positive value for the divergence of a cross product?

A negative value for the divergence of a cross product indicates that the vector field is circulating in a clockwise direction, while a positive value indicates a counterclockwise direction. This can also be interpreted as a net flow into or out of a point in the vector field.

5. Can the divergence of a cross product be used in applications outside of mathematics and physics?

Yes, the divergence of a cross product has applications in areas such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and even computer graphics and animation. It is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of vector fields in various physical and virtual systems.