DIY Paper Yield & Tensile Strengths

In summary, many papers have a definite "grain" to them, but this will not be a problem in experiments due to the rotation.
blainiac
Hey there!

I'm about to do some tests with rotating boundary layers and wanted to use rotating sheets of paper (cut into circles) as this would be ideal for my experiments.

I was researching various materials but couldn't find yield and tensile strengths for different types of paper (printer paper, kraft paper, etc.). Is there documentation of the yield and UTS of common papers?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bystander,

I definitely have done my due diligence search-wise, even exact phrase matches like you've provided. Either it returns a paper written on the subject (instead of actual PAPER as the material). I have also looked at several videos but to no avail. I hope I haven't overlooked what I'm searching for due to sleepiness, but I'm sure there's a simple materials sheet but I can't find anything. Thanks for any help!

Edit: I found what I needed FINALLY, I'll post it soon if others are interested.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
blainiac said:
Edit: I found what I needed FINALLY, I'll post it soon if others are interested.
Please do, and tell us more about your project, if you can.

Well the information has to be out there someplace.
Papers comes in rolls from newsprint to fine paper.
Rolling it up and unrolling for printing would involve some tension, and the machine operators would need to know how much before the papers tears or rips.

From this link:

Strength Properties

Bursting Strength
Bursting strength tells how much pressure paper can tolerate before rupture. It is important for bag paper.
Bursting strength is measured as the maximum hydrostatic pressure required to rupture the sample by constantly increasing the pressure applied through a rubber diaphragm on 1.20 - inch diameter (30.5 mm) sample. The standards procedure is described in TAPPI T 403.

Bursting strength depends on basis weight of paper. To normalized the bursting strength for various paper, bursting strength is reported as

Burst Index = Bursting Strength (kPa)/ Grammage (g/m2) or

Burst Factor = Bursting Strength ( g/cm2)/ Grammage (g/m2) or

Burst Ratio = Bursting Strength ( lb/inch2)/ Basis Weight (lbs/ream)Typical Bursting Strength Values (Grade) KPa
Coated Paper (130 g/m2) 200-300
Coated Paper (250 g/m2) 300-650
Bond Office/Business Paper (100 g/m2) 250-300
Carbonless Paper (50-60 g/m2) 150-200
Bleached Kraft (60 g/m2) 210-260
Test Liner (186 g/m2)250-475
Not really all you'd want, though.

blainiac said:
I'm about to do some tests with rotating boundary layers and wanted to use rotating sheets of paper (cut into circles) as this would be ideal for my experiments.
Many papers have a definite "grain" to them. Will that be a problem in your experiments?

1. How can I determine the yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper?

The yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper can be determined by conducting a simple experiment. First, cut a strip of paper with a length of 10 cm and a width of 1 cm. Next, use a ruler to mark a line 1 cm from one end of the strip. Then, slowly add weights (such as books or coins) to the other end of the strip until it breaks. The weight at which the strip breaks is the yield strength. To determine the tensile strength, measure the width of the strip at the point of breakage and divide the weight by the cross-sectional area.

2. What factors can affect the yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper?

The yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of paper used, the method of papermaking, the thickness and width of the paper, and the environmental conditions (humidity and temperature) during the papermaking process.

3. Can the yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper be improved?

Yes, the yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper can be improved by using stronger and thicker paper fibers, adding additives such as glue or starch to the paper pulp, and using a pressing machine to compact the paper fibers during the papermaking process.

4. Is there a standard measurement for yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper?

No, there is no standard measurement for the yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper as it can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, these strengths can be compared to commercial paper products to determine the quality of the DIY paper.

5. How can the yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper be applied in real life?

The yield and tensile strengths of DIY paper can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as determining the strength of packaging materials, designing stronger paper structures, and understanding the durability of paper products (e.g. books, tissues, etc.). It can also be useful in the field of material science for developing new and improved paper products.