Brittle Materials: Bending Yield Strength

In summary, ASTM C1161 is a standard that measures yield stress in a bend test. It is complicated to do compared to a uniaxial test, but it can be done.
1350-F
It seems to me that the ultimate strength of a brittle material can be easily determined by a bending test, but what about the yield? In the brittle regime, I can see how you couldn't, since the sample would fail before it would flow significantly. However, brittle materials can be made to flow a little bit by heating, confining pressure etc. In a hot bending test for example, is there a measure of the yield?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Isn't the measure of yield: If you release the loading on the body, it returns to its original shape.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Isn't the measure of yield: If you release the loading on the body, it returns to its original shape.

Chet

Hmm. I suppose you could do an incremental bending test. ASTM C1161 calls for a constant loading rate. I'll go looking for a standard that includes it.

Thanks.

1350-F said:
It seems to me that the ultimate strength of a brittle material can be easily determined by a bending test, but what about the yield? In the brittle regime, I can see how you couldn't, since the sample would fail before it would flow significantly. However, brittle materials can be made to flow a little bit by heating, confining pressure etc. In a hot bending test for example, is there a measure of the yield?
Most often tensile tests are uniaxial, or biaxial. Heating (increase in temperature) reduces yield strength.

Bend tests are usually performed to assure a certain level of ductility (usually for reasons of formability or performance). What is the purpose of ASTM C1161?

Measurement of yield stress in a bend test can be done, but it is rather complicated compared to a uniaxial test.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexural_strength

Astronuc said:
Most often tensile tests are uniaxial, or biaxial. Heating (increase in temperature) reduces yield strength.

Bend tests are usually performed to assure a certain level of ductility (usually for reasons of formability or performance). What is the purpose of ASTM C1161?

Measurement of yield stress in a bend test can be done, but it is rather complicated compared to a uniaxial test.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexural_strength

Taking another look at C1161, there's no provision for hot tests. I can see also how finding the yield wouldn't be the point. At the root of my question was: How can I evaluate a yield estimate for a brittle material? I am, like you say, interested in a yield at high temperature which will be lower and at enough confining pressure that the material is likely to flow. I thought there would be some info from the bending test (if it did become ductile at that temp alone) since its fairly common compared to the uniaxial test. Otherwise I thought a hot triaxial test would be appropriate, a sort of creep test under confining pressure.

1. What are brittle materials?

Brittle materials are materials that are stiff and have a high resistance to deformation, but they have low ductility and tend to fail suddenly without any warning signs. They are characterized by their low ability to withstand tensile stress and their tendency to shatter or break under pressure.

2. What is the bending yield strength of a brittle material?

The bending yield strength of a brittle material is the maximum amount of stress that it can withstand before it breaks or fractures. This is typically much lower than the tensile yield strength of the material due to its lack of ductility.

3. How is the bending yield strength of a brittle material measured?

The bending yield strength of a brittle material is typically measured through a three-point or four-point bending test. In this test, a sample of the material is placed horizontally on two supports and a force is applied at the center of the sample until it breaks. The maximum force applied before the material breaks is the bending yield strength.

4. What factors affect the bending yield strength of brittle materials?

The bending yield strength of brittle materials can be affected by various factors such as temperature, strain rate, and material composition. Higher temperatures can decrease the yield strength, while lower temperatures can increase it. A higher strain rate can also result in a lower yield strength, as the material has less time to deform before breaking. The composition of the material, including impurities and microstructure, can also impact its yield strength.

5. How can the bending yield strength of brittle materials be improved?

The bending yield strength of brittle materials can be improved through different methods such as annealing, which involves heating and cooling the material to change its microstructure and increase its strength. Adding reinforcing materials, such as fibers or particles, can also improve the yield strength. Additionally, adjusting the composition of the material to remove impurities and create a more uniform microstructure can also increase its bending yield strength.