DIY Particle Accelerator (with magnetic ball)

acun
Hi, currently I am working on a particle accelerator. In the project, basically, by the magnetic force generated by the coil, the magnetic ball is accelerated in a circular path. I first thought that giving current all the time to the coil wouldn't cause problems. However, as it turned out if the current is given to the coil continuously, the magnetic ball oscillates and eventually stops ( at 3:44). I couldn't understand why it happens, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have answered the question by yourself in the video, which makes me think you didn't really get here looking for help, but just to show your project.

Nice one.

Well, you clearly didn't understand the question. I am still doing my project, the project you see in the video belongs to Hyperspace Pirate YouTube channel and it is a FINISHED project (probably I should have emphasized it more). I liked his project and as a guide, I am using his project. I added a video link in case I couldn't explain my problem very well. In his video, he says "Because the electromagnet will always pull it in from either side", clearly you found this a comprehensive explanation, but I didn't. My question is still there. Why electromagnet pull it in from either side? What is the physical explanation of it?

acun said:
Well, you clearly didn't understand the question.
I misunderstood it as well. Huh.

acun said:
My question is still there. Why electromagnet pull it in from either side? What is the physical explanation of it?
It is the physical effect behind a solenoid actuator. A divergent magnetic field will attract a ferrous piece of material into the higher concentration region of the B-field in the solenoid.

https://www.doeeet.com/content/eee-components/passives/solenoids-explained/

https://science.howstuffworks.com/solenoid.htm

So to make a "particle accelerator" like this work, you will need some extra sensors to detect where the balls are, and turn on the attractive solenoid current (and resulting divergent magnetic field) as the ball approaches, and switch the current off around the time when the ball is passing through the middle of the coil.

Does that make more sense now? :smile:

berkeman said:
you will need some extra sensors
Or you need to time the magnets to turn on and off at the right times, and then roll the ball with the right speed.

Vanadium 50 said:
Or you need to time the magnets to turn on and off at the right times, and then roll the ball with the right speed.
You are assuming *way* too much coordination on my part...!

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and Tom.G
I hate to provide too much help, especially since the OP was a) unclear, and b) got all huffy about it, as if it were out fault. However, consider one magnet. When the ball is rolling towards the magnet, and the magnet is on, the ball will feel the force towards the magnet and speed up. Then, when it passes the magnet, it will again feel a force towards the magnet, and slow down.

You want the magnets off for this, until the ball gets closer to the next magnet in the chain, then you can turn it on again. This is most easily accomplished with a low frequency AC source and a half-wave rectifier.

There is lots more that can be said, but it is the OPs project, not mine.

Pity the OP seems to have lost interest. The physics of making this work has some interesting aspects to it. Oh well.