Do bees know that they will die after they sting?

• Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    animals
In summary, bees will sting when they sense danger as a form of colony defense, but individual survival is not important to them. The decision to sting is not made by a single bee, but rather determined statistically by genes and environmental conditions. Different bee species have varying colony sizes and stinger barbs, with honey bees having a barbed stinger and bumblebees lacking one. Wasps and hornets also lack a barb and can sting multiple times, using their stingers for more than just defense.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
This may be an odd question, but it's popped up in many conversations. I know that they die because, aside from losing their stinger, they suffer abdominal rupture too severe to survive. However, it's always seemed odd that they sting out of fear of danger and getting hurt, but they die afterwards anyway. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of stinging to begin with? So my question is this: Do bees know that they will die prior to stinging somebody or something?

Biology news on Phys.org
I doubt a bee's mind is complex enough to understand the concept of death.

phyzguy said:
I doubt a bee's mind is complex enough to understand the concept of death.
So it's just instinct? The moment they sense danger, they sting? Sometimes I wondered whether they could sense the severity of the peril and gauge if they should "save" their one and only sting or not.

I guess I expected too much from bees.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
So it's just instinct? The moment they sense danger, they sting? Sometimes I wondered whether they could sense the severity of the peril and gauge if they should "save" their one and only sting or not.

I just dug a little bit out of curiosity and found this paper. Bees are colony animals - individual survival isn't important; preserving the egg-laying process of the queen, and the nursing of the nursers is. In African bees, for each colony, tasks are divided among members. And there's some genetic correlation in those tasks, as observed in mixed family colonies. A "guard" bee seldom stings anything (~3% of them were observed stinging in the linked paper) even during defensive moments, while "stingers" will act in colony defense.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1023458827643

So my interpretation of this in the context of your question is that the decision over when to sting and when not to sting is not decided by a single bee, but decided statistically by genes and environmental conditions and expressed through a colony's guard/stinger ratio.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and PeroK
ProfuselyQuarky said:

Depends on the bee...
Honey bees have a barbed stinger, so the stinger stays ( most of the time ) in the wound, and pumps more venom into the stung creature. ( Just a thought - if one pokes a stick into the hive, do they sting the stick ?? )
Bumblebees lack the barb, so can sting repeatedly.

In this case losing a bee out of 1000 or so for the honey bee, versus 1 out of 50ish for the bumblebee may be part of the reason for the adaptation of barb or no barb in the stinger. One could look to all bee species to see if there is a pattern of colony size and stinger barb.
And check to see if any barb/colony size correlation occurs for other species such as wasps and hornets.
I would expect though, that to be too simplistic as a whole explanation to win a Noble Prize.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Pythagorean said:
I just dug a little bit out of curiosity and found this paper. Bees are colony animals - individual survival isn't important; preserving the egg-laying process of the queen, and the nursing of the nursers is. In African bees, for each colony, tasks are divided among members. And there's some genetic correlation in those tasks, as observed in mixed family colonies. A "guard" bee seldom stings anything (~3% of them were observed stinging in the linked paper) even during defensive moments, while "stingers" will act in colony defense.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1023458827643

So my interpretation of this in the context of your question is that the decision over when to sting and when not to sting is not decided by a single bee, but decided statistically by genes and environmental conditions and expressed through a colony's guard/stinger ratio.
This makes very good sense--disregard to individual survival appears to be a great answer, and it's something I never thought of before. I suppose that's partly due to the fact I hardly ever see a hive but, rather, a single lone bee.

Last edited:
256bits said:
In this case losing a bee out of 1000 or so for the honey bee, versus 1 out of 50ish for the bumblebee may be part of the reason for the adaptation of barb or no barb in the stinger. One could look to all bee species to see if there is a pattern of colony size and stinger barb.
And check to see if any barb/colony size correlation occurs for other species such as wasps and hornets.
Well, apparently, there can be up to 50, 000 to 60,000 bees in an average honey bee colony. A wasp colony has about 11,000 to 13,000, however. Wasps do not have a barb in the stinger and can sting for as many times as they want, since they use it for more than defense. I just read that they use their sting often to paralyze insects to feed their larvae. As for hornets, their colonies can include around 700 members and they, too, do not have a barb in their stinger. From this, you seem to be right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornet
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/s...rtebrates/invasive-invertebrates/wasps/faq#q9
http://www.hivesforlives.com/beesandhoney/beegeneralfacts.html
http://www.journal-news.net/page/content.detail/id/577723/Wasps-can-sting-over-and-over.html?nav=5067

256bits said:
Just a thought - if one pokes a stick into the hive, do they sting the stick ??
Hm, I'm sure that they'll come out and attack the person who stuck the stick into the hive, instead :smile:

Likes 256bits

1. Do all bees know that they will die after they sting?

Yes, all female bees are aware that they will die after they sting. However, male bees, also known as drones, do not have stingers and therefore do not die after stinging.

2. Why do bees die after they sting?

When a bee stings, its stinger gets stuck in the skin of the victim. As the bee tries to pull away, the stinger and part of its abdomen are torn off, causing the bee to die from the injury.

3. Can bees control whether they die after stinging?

No, bees do not have the ability to control whether they die after stinging. Once they have stung, their fate is already sealed.

4. Do bees regret stinging and dying?

No, bees do not have the cognitive ability to feel regret. They are acting on instinct and are not capable of reflecting on their actions.

5. What happens to a bee colony when a bee dies after stinging?

When a bee dies after stinging, it releases a pheromone that signals danger to the rest of the colony. This prompts other bees to become more defensive and protect the hive.