Do Black Holes Exist? Maths & Singularity Explained

In summary: However, this does not mean that the particle will cease to exist, as it is still a part of spacetime. It is just that our mathematical description of spacetime breaks down at the singularity. In summary, black holes do exist in our universe, but the singularities at their centers are not well understood and may not actually exist in the physical sense. The idealized models used in General Relativity are still useful for practical purposes, but a more comprehensive theory is needed to fully understand the behavior of black holes.
PeterDonis said:
No, in QM at zero temperature particles still have nonzero energy (because "zero temperature" means "ground state", and the energy of a particle in the ground state is still nonzero).
Energy of particle consists of potential energy plus kinetic energy. But as I understand this there is no certain split between these two energies. So it would mean that kinetic energy does not have specific value. Hmm, then defining pressure using kinetic energy might not work very well.
PeterDonis said:
If the particles are in a potential well, the ground state is most likely going to have zero expectation value of momentum (for example, consider the 1s state of the hydrogen atom) by rotational symmetry.
Average momentum should be zero but it does not seem that this helps with the question.

It seems that my line of argument reached some uncharted territory for me. So I will probably stop there and give it some time to seep in.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
zonde said:
Energy of particle consists of potential energy plus kinetic energy.

For some very specific cases, yes.

zonde said:
as I understand this there is no certain split between these two energies

No, in a general spacetime "potential energy" can't even be defined. It can only be defined in stationary spacetimes.

zonde said:
Average momentum should be zero but it does not seem that this helps with the question.

I didn't say "average" momentum. I said the expectation value of momentum. A single electron in the 1s state in a hydrogen atom is not in a momentum eigenstate, so it has no definite value of momentum; but the expectation value of the momentum operator for this state is zero. "Average" momentum, OTOH, is meaningless, since there's only one electron so there's nothing to take the average of.