Do Engineering Students run autocad on their own computer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of discounted or free academic versions of software such as AutoCAD and Solidworks for students. The speakers advise against purchasing the full version and suggest using the free student versions instead. There is also mention of the need for online verification of the license for the student versions.
Goopy17
Do they buy it for themselves? Do they use it on the school computer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
When I was in college, I took advantage of student discounts and got AutoCAD LT for my PC.

There are low-priced (sometimes free) "academic versions" available for many programs. Here's Autodesk's page on the subject: http://students.autodesk.com

Autodesk gave a free copy of almost everything when I was at University. But no don't buy one unless is cheap.

PS It's not worth it as AutoCAD is crap. Get the free student Inventor and let the good times roll.

Autodesk gave a free copy of almost everything when I was at University. But no don't buy one unless is cheap.

PS It's not worth it as AutoCAD is crap. Get the free student Inventor and let the good times roll.

My school gave me a free student version of Solidworks... but I have to be connected online at all times to verify my license.

1. Can engineering students run AutoCAD on their personal computers?

Yes, engineering students can run AutoCAD on their own computers as long as their computer meets the system requirements for the software.

2. Do engineering students need to purchase a license for AutoCAD to run it on their own computer?

Yes, engineering students will need to purchase a license for AutoCAD in order to run it on their own computer. There are different licensing options available, including a student version at a discounted price.

3. What are the system requirements for running AutoCAD on a personal computer?

The system requirements for running AutoCAD on a personal computer may vary depending on the version of the software, but generally, it requires a 64-bit operating system, at least 8GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card with at least 1GB of VRAM.

4. Is it necessary for engineering students to have AutoCAD on their personal computer?

It is not necessary for engineering students to have AutoCAD on their personal computer, as they can also access it through computer labs or school-owned devices. However, having the software on their own computer may be more convenient for individual use.

5. Are there alternatives to running AutoCAD on personal computers for engineering students?

Yes, there are alternatives to running AutoCAD on personal computers for engineering students. Some universities may offer access to virtual desktops or cloud-based solutions for running AutoCAD. There are also other CAD software options available for engineering students to use on their personal computers.