Do famous people ever lobby wikipedia wrt their bios

• Thread starter ppppparker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary, famous and wealthy people have the ability to edit their own Wikipedia entries or hire someone to do so. However, if they feel that the information violates their privacy, they can take the matter to court. While there have been cases of celebrities trying to manipulate their own pages, there are also rules in place to prevent this.
ppppparker
if they are really wealthy I mean... or is that against some free speech law or something

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Wikipedia (not Wikileaks) only provides readers general information. I don't know how general is really general in people's views today ?
I think famous people do have the right to ask for specific information about them to be deleted off a web medium if they think it violates their privacy too much at some point; and usually this will be brought up to court and in most cases the rich famous people have never lost.

First of all, they can edit the wikipedia entry by themselves (or rather hire someone to do so, if they are famous the can afford PR agency, don't they?). You need to go to court only if things escalate into an edit war.

I read of a celebrity who made an edit that was then deleted as Wikipedia doesn't accept primary sources, only secondary. Can't recall who it was.

billy_joule said:
I read of a celebrity who made an edit that was then deleted as Wikipedia doesn't accept primary sources, only secondary. Can't recall who it was.

Many such cases. Still, there are rather simple ways of confusing things.

There are many known cases where persons tried to manipulate their own page in a way that is clearly against Wikipedia rules, many more borderline cases, and probably even more cases where the edits were so small that they didn't get noted.

It is not against any law (in general - you can write illegal things of course, but those tend to be negative so people don't write them about themself), but it can be against Wikipedia rules.

1. Do famous people have control over their Wikipedia bios?

No, famous people do not have control over their Wikipedia bios. Wikipedia is an open platform where anyone can edit and contribute information. It is against Wikipedia's policies to allow individuals to control or edit their own biographies.

2. Can famous people request changes to their Wikipedia bios?

Yes, famous people can request changes to their Wikipedia bios by submitting a request on the article's talk page or by contacting Wikipedia's volunteer editors through their help desk. However, it is up to the editors to decide whether the requested changes are relevant and appropriate to be included in the article.

3. Are famous people allowed to remove negative information from their Wikipedia bios?

No, famous people are not allowed to remove negative information from their Wikipedia bios. Wikipedia's policies state that information, whether positive or negative, must be verifiable and neutral. If a piece of information is relevant and reliably sourced, it cannot be removed at the request of the subject.

4. Can famous people pay to have their Wikipedia bios edited?

No, famous people cannot pay to have their Wikipedia bios edited. Wikipedia is a non-profit organization and does not accept payment for editing or controlling content. Paid editing is also against Wikipedia's policies and can result in the removal of the edited content.

5. Do famous people have to disclose conflicts of interest when editing their Wikipedia bios?

Yes, famous people are required to disclose any conflicts of interest when editing their Wikipedia bios. This is to ensure transparency and prevent biased or promotional information from being added to the article. Failure to disclose conflicts of interest can result in the removal of the edited content.