Do I need differentials before partial differentials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma about whether to sign up for a class on partial differential equations or stick with linear algebra. They mention the importance of having a grasp on calculus 3 as well as the potential benefits of taking linear algebra before differential equations. The conversation also touches on the topic of prerequisites and the usefulness of linear algebra in understanding differential equations. The speaker also clarifies the meaning of ODE and shares their personal experience with the subject.
Y.E.T.I.
I know its a ridiculous question, but I'm signing up for classes and I wanted to take differential equations and its currently filled up(for now, people drop all the time at my uni) but saw partial differential equations. I assume you need differential equations before partial differential equations, so I don't know if I should even sign up for that. If I can't take it I'm going to take linear algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, it would make more sense. You also need a grasp of calculus 3.

MidgetDwarf said:
yeah, it would make more sense. You also need a grasp of calculus 3.
I've signed up for calc 3 and physics 2. They let us take calc 3 concurrently with differential equations, I was just trying to avoid unneeded filler classes to make it full time. Linear algebra isn't really required but I thought it looked interesting.

What does the course catalog say about prerequisites?

Vanadium 50 said:
What does the course catalog say about prerequisites?
I need differential equations before partial differential equations, just looked it up. Looks like linear algebra is going to be a choice to take.

ODE is a very easy class. Can be a GPA booster

Excuse my ignorance, but what does ODE stand for?

Ordinary Differential Equations. (as opposed to Partial Differential Equations, PDE)

Oh ok. Thanks!

I get tripped up by TLA's sometimes, too. :-p

(Three Letter Acronyms)

Likes davidbenari
If it helps, I wish linear algebra had been a prerequisite for my first class in differential equations. Linear algebra shows up everywhere, and there are big chunks of methodology in differential equations that boil down to solving a system of linear equations or finding eigenvalues or eigenvectors.

1. What are differentials and partial differentials?

Differentials are infinitesimal changes in a variable, often denoted by "dx" or "dy". They are used in calculus to represent small changes in a function. Partial differentials are similar, but they involve taking the derivative of a function with respect to only one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant.

2. Why do I need differentials before partial differentials?

Differentials are necessary for understanding partial differentials because they provide a foundation for understanding how a function changes with respect to one variable. Without understanding differentials, it can be difficult to grasp the concept of taking a partial derivative.

3. Can I use partial differentials without knowing about differentials?

Technically, yes, you can use partial differentials without explicitly knowing about differentials. However, understanding differentials can greatly enhance your understanding and intuition for partial differentials.

4. What are some real-world applications of differentials and partial differentials?

Differentials and partial differentials are used in a wide variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are particularly useful in modeling and predicting how systems will change over time.

5. How can I improve my understanding of differentials and partial differentials?

Some tips for improving your understanding of differentials and partial differentials include practicing problems, seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials, and working with a tutor or study group. It can also be helpful to try visualizing differentials and partial differentials geometrically.