Do I need to fall in love of everything?

• Thread starter alivedude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Love
In summary, the speaker is a second year grad student in engineering physics who plans on pursuing a Master's and PhD in theoretical physics. They enjoy the theoretical aspects of math and physics but find classical mechanics to be boring. They question whether liking the entire subject is necessary to be a good physicist and seek advice on how to handle this issue. The response advises them to not dismiss these areas and to do their best in all classes as it may be useful in the future. The speaker also shares their own experience with struggling to enjoy a subject and eventually having to teach it.
alivedude
I'm a second year grad student within engineering physics and after this I am going to take a master in theoretical physics. My plan is to go even further with a PhD when I am done.

The thing is, I really don't enjoy some parts of my education. I love the theoretical part of almost everything, I am really good at very abstract math and physics but I feel that classical mechanics is one of the most boring things I have ever done. The theory and derivation of it is fine but when it comes to the problem solving it feels like the only thing I am doing is reading some 400 years old methods and repeating it.

So my question is, do you need to like the whole "package" to be a good physicist or is it normal to feel like this about some areas in the field?

Physics news on Phys.org
There can be many reasons why you don't like some parts of physics. Sometimes it can have nothing to do with you, like a bad teacher or a bad textbook, but here can be things which you just don't care about. The important thing is not to dismiss these areas. Do your best in these classes, as you never when something you found boring will be highly important to really understand something you care about, or whether some methods learned for x will be useful to solve y.

Simply bear with the material you don't love, and one day you might be done with it and concentrate on what you do love (until you're asked to teach that boring subject :wink:).

DrClaude said:
Simply bear with the material you don't love, and one day you might be done with it and concentrate on what you do love (until you're asked to teach that boring subject :wink:)

I had trouble getting "into" classical thermodynamics. I got a B- in my graduate course on it and had to repeat it. Then I ended up having to teach an undergraduate thermo course for several years! :eek:

Likes DrClaude
Haha you are so right! The thing is, I am really good at things like classical mechanics but I still find it so boring. I like the theory and I the fact that I understand how rigid bodys move and how I can use Hamilton and Lagranges equations for systems but when I see those problem sets with bike wheels and homogenous bars and all kinds of stuff like that I just want to put all the books aside, I guess that's why I'm more into theoretical physics than normal engineering :)

1. What is the significance of falling in love with everything?

Falling in love with everything is not a necessary requirement for a happy and fulfilling life. It is simply a personal experience that can bring joy and happiness.

2. Can falling in love with everything have any negative consequences?

While falling in love with everything may bring joy, it can also lead to attachment and unrealistic expectations. It's important to maintain a balance and not let it consume your life.

3. Is it possible to fall in love with everything?

It is possible to have a deep appreciation and love for everything around us, but it's important to recognize that true romantic love can only exist between two individuals.

4. How can I learn to fall in love with everything?

The key to falling in love with everything is to practice mindfulness and cultivate a positive mindset. Taking time to appreciate the small things in life and finding beauty in everyday moments can help foster a sense of love for the world around us.

5. Is it healthy to constantly seek love in everything?

As with most things, moderation is key. Constantly seeking love in everything can lead to disappointment and unrealistic expectations. It's important to have a balanced perspective and not rely on external factors for happiness.