Do i need to find the x and y components?

In summary, the use of x and y components in scientific experiments depends on the variables being measured. They are important in experiments involving motion or forces, but may not be necessary in others. To find the components, vectors must be broken down using trigonometric functions. This can simplify complex experiments and is crucial in real-world applications such as engineering and physics. However, if an experiment only involves one dimension, x and y components may not be needed.
crism7
Homework Statement
j
Relevant Equations
t = 2vi sin theta / g (i'm not sure)
Do i need to find the x and y components??
j

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

You are given how long the ball stays in the air when shot vertically. What is different when it is shot up at an angle of 55 degrees? It will stay in the air a shorter time, but by how much? What is the initial vertical velocity reduced to when the launch angle is 55 degrees?

Likes crism7
To @crism7 : Note that @berkeman is not expecting you to find a number for the initial vertical velocity. An algebraic expression will be sufficient. Then see how you can work the given 1.34 s into it.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and crism7

1. Do I need to find the x and y components of a vector?

Yes, in order to fully understand and manipulate a vector, it is important to find its x and y components. These components represent the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector, respectively, and are necessary for calculations and visualizations.

2. Is it possible to work with vectors without finding their x and y components?

Technically, yes, it is possible to work with vectors without explicitly finding their x and y components. However, this may limit your understanding and ability to manipulate the vector, so it is generally recommended to find these components.

3. How do I find the x and y components of a vector?

To find the x and y components of a vector, you can use basic trigonometry. The x component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle it makes with the x-axis. Similarly, the y component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle.

4. Why is it important to find the x and y components of a vector?

Finding the x and y components of a vector allows for a better understanding of its direction and magnitude. It also enables you to perform calculations and transformations on the vector, such as adding or subtracting it from other vectors.

5. Can I find the x and y components of a vector if I only know its magnitude and direction?

Yes, it is possible to find the x and y components of a vector if you know its magnitude and direction. Using the magnitude and direction, you can create a right triangle and use trigonometry to find the x and y components.