Do oxides react react with a weak acid like phosphoric acid?

In summary, the original poster is asking if adding phosphoric acid, a weak acid, to a mixture of oxides will cause a reaction and if so, will it result in 100% conversion or a partial equilibrium. They are seeking further information on this topic.
Rub3y
TL;DR Summary
Do oxides react with phosphoric acid?
I have an ash which is a mix of oxides (Cr2O3, CuO, ZnO, PbO, CdO, NiO, SiO2, MgO, CaO). I am adding phosphoric acid. But as a weak acid, will it react with oxides? If so, are these conversions 100% or more of a equillibrium (partial conversion).

I you need more information, be sure to ask.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This question is hardly different from the one you posted several days ago here. As you were told in the other thread there is no simple answer, and while you can probably find some pointers in the literature the only sure way (especially in the case of a specific mixture) is to check what happens experimentally.

I am locking the thread.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. Do all oxides react with a weak acid like phosphoric acid?

Not all oxides react with weak acids like phosphoric acid. It depends on the specific oxide and its chemical properties.

2. What happens when an oxide reacts with a weak acid like phosphoric acid?

When an oxide reacts with a weak acid like phosphoric acid, a chemical reaction takes place which results in the formation of a salt and water.

3. Can oxides react with phosphoric acid to form a gas?

Yes, some oxides can react with phosphoric acid to form a gas, such as carbon dioxide or sulfur dioxide.

4. How does the reactivity of oxides with phosphoric acid vary?

The reactivity of oxides with phosphoric acid varies depending on factors such as the type of oxide, its concentration, and temperature.

5. Why is it important to understand the reaction between oxides and phosphoric acid?

Understanding the reaction between oxides and phosphoric acid is important because it has various industrial applications, such as in the production of fertilizers and in the manufacturing of certain chemicals. It also helps in understanding the chemical properties of oxides and their behavior in different environments.