Do Professors actually work in the lab or just write grant proposals?

In summary, professors tend to delegate lab work to graduate students and focus on writing grant proposals. This is more common among newer professors, while more experienced ones may still spend some time working in the lab. However, most professors do not have a lab and their research is primarily computer-based. The division of duties between lab work and grant writing may vary for assistant, associate, and full professors, but they all tend to spend some time in the lab and also have other responsibilities such as teaching and mentoring.
astor
Do professors push most of their lab work onto graduate students and focus on grant proposals?

How does the answer differ for assistant professors, associate professors, and full professors?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my graduate department, professors doing benchwork was practically unheard of.

The professor in my dept who ran a lab didn't spend much time working in it, but then, he had been there for more than 20 years. New professors spend a lot of time in the lab. And the fact is that most professors don't have a lab, and don't need one for their research - it's all computer based in some way (observational, computational, theoretical) and in my experience they tend to do a lot more of that themselves than have their undergrads or grad students do it.

astor said:
Do professors push most of their lab work onto graduate students and focus on grant proposals?

Most of the one's I know end up doing more or less that. They'd *like* to spend more time doing "real research" and less time doing paperwork. The trouble is that you can get a graduate student to do most of the grunt work, whereas writing the grant proposal to pay for the graduate student is something that only the professor knows how to do.

astor said:

How does the answer differ for assistant professors, associate professors, and full professors?

Personally, I (assistant prof.) spend time working in the lab and writing up the papers/proposals. (and teaching, and mentoring, and grading, and ...). I spend more time in the lab during summer and winter break than other times, and I have more (undergrad and grad) students working in the lab during the school year than winter/summer break.

1. Do professors spend most of their time in the lab or writing grant proposals?

It depends on the individual professor and their specific research focus. Some professors may spend a majority of their time in the lab conducting experiments and analyzing data, while others may spend more time writing grant proposals to secure funding for their research projects.

2. Is it common for professors to have their own research labs?

Yes, it is common for professors to have their own research labs where they conduct experiments and train graduate students and other researchers. These labs are often funded by grants and may have specialized equipment and resources.

3. Are professors required to do research in addition to teaching?

It depends on the specific university and department, but many professors are expected to conduct research in addition to teaching. This is often a requirement for tenure and promotion.

4. How do professors balance their time between teaching, research, and other responsibilities?

Balancing time between teaching, research, and other responsibilities can be a challenge for professors. Many create a schedule and prioritize tasks to ensure they are meeting their obligations, while also delegating tasks and collaborating with other researchers.

5. Do professors still conduct research even after receiving tenure?

Yes, professors are expected to continue conducting research even after receiving tenure. Tenure is a form of job security that allows professors to have more autonomy and freedom in their research pursuits, but it does not exempt them from their research responsibilities.