Do the EE electives I take in my last year matter?

In summary, the question is whether or not the electives taken in the last year of electrical engineering matter to employers. The answer is that they may matter if they are relevant to the job position, particularly hands-on lab classes. It is important to consider both exposure to different fields and concentrating in an area of interest when choosing electives. Guidance may be helpful for those in the early stages of an undergraduate engineering career.
kaitamasaki
In my last year of electrical engineering, I will have the freedom and option of taking 5-6 courses from this long exhaustive list of electives:
http://www.ece.ubc.ca/sites/default/files/ElectricalEngineering%20Electives%202011.pdf"

My question is, do the courses I take, specifically those electives, matter to employers? Are they more inclined to hire a student who has taken industry-relevant courses? Should I take just for exposure to different fields or should I concentrate in an area I like? I am still fairly elementary in my undergrad engineering career (just finished 2nd year) so I would like some guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kaitamasaki said:
In my last year of electrical engineering, I will have the freedom and option of taking 5-6 courses from this long exhaustive list of electives:
http://www.ece.ubc.ca/sites/default/files/ElectricalEngineering%20Electives%202011.pdf"

My question is, do the courses I take, specifically those electives, matter to employers? Are they more inclined to hire a student who has taken industry-relevant courses? Should I take just for exposure to different fields or should I concentrate in an area I like? I am still fairly elementary in my undergrad engineering career (just finished 2nd year) so I would like some guidance.

Yes, I would look at your electives, if you pointed them out to me as being relevant to the job position that you were applying for. Especially lab classes where you get practical experience building/testing things that are relevant to the position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Do the EE electives I take in my last year matter?

1. How important are the EE electives I take in my final year?

The EE electives you take in your final year are very important because they allow you to specialize in a specific area of electrical engineering. These courses will also help you develop advanced skills and knowledge that will be valuable in your future career.

2. Will my choice of EE electives affect my job prospects?

Yes, your choice of EE electives can definitely affect your job prospects. Employers often look for candidates with a strong background in a specific area of electrical engineering, so taking relevant electives can make you a more competitive candidate.

3. Can I change my EE electives in my final year?

It depends on your university's policies and the availability of courses. Some universities may allow you to change your electives, but it's important to plan your course schedule carefully to avoid any potential issues.

4. Are there any recommended EE electives to take in my final year?

It's a good idea to consult with your academic advisor or professors to get recommendations for EE electives that align with your interests and career goals. You can also research job postings in your desired field to see what skills and knowledge are in high demand.

5. Will the EE electives I take in my final year be more difficult than previous courses?

This may vary depending on the specific electives you choose, but in general, final year EE electives are designed to be more challenging and advanced. However, with proper time management and dedication, you can successfully complete these courses and gain valuable skills for your future career.