Do we have to write them separately?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, we are looking for a solution of the differential equation $y''+xy=0$ using the power series method. The solution takes the form of $y(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n$ with a radius of convergence $R>0$. By substituting this into the differential equation, we obtained a recurrence relation for the coefficients $a_n$. Solving for the coefficients, we get the formulas $a_{3k}=(-1)^k \frac{a_0}{(3k)!} \prod_{i=0}^{k-1} (3i+1)$ and $a_{3k+1}=(-1)^k \
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)The differential equation $y''+xy=0$ is given.

I want to find the solution of the differential equation, using the power series method.

That's what I have tried:We are looking for a solution of the form $y(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n$ with radius of convergence of the power series $R>0$.Then:

$$y'(x)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n a_n x^{n-1}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} x^n$$

$$y''(x)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (n+1) n a_{n+1} x^{n-1}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2} x^n$$Thus:$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2} x^n+ x \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n=0 \\ \Rightarrow \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} x^n+ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^{n+1}=0 \\ \Rightarrow \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} x^n+ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n-1} x^n=0 \\ \Rightarrow 2a_2+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left[ (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2}+ a_{n-1}\right] x^n=0$$So it has to hold:

$$a_2=0 \\ (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2}+a_{n-1}=0, \forall n=1,2,3, \dots$$For $n=1$: $3 \cdot 2 \cdot a_3+ a_0=0 \Rightarrow a_3=-\frac{a_0}{6}$

For $n=2$: $4 \cdot 3 \cdot a_4+a_1=0 \Rightarrow a_4=-\frac{a_1}{12}$

For $n=3$: $5 \cdot 4 \cdot a_5+a_2=0 \Rightarrow a_5=0$

For $n=4$: $6 \cdot 5 \cdot a_6+a_3=0 \Rightarrow 30 a_6-\frac{a_0}{6}=0 \Rightarrow a_6=\frac{a_0}{6 \cdot 30}=\frac{a_0}{180}$

For $n=5$: $7 \cdot 6 \cdot a_7+ a_4=0 \Rightarrow 7 \cdot 6 \cdot a_7-\frac{a_1}{12}=0 \Rightarrow a_7=\frac{a_1}{12 \cdot 42}$Will it be as follows?$$a_{3k+2}=0$$

$$a_{3k}=(-1)^k \frac{a_0}{(3k)!} \prod_{i=0}^{k-1} (3i+1)$$$$a_{3k+1}=(-1)^k \frac{a_1}{(3k+1)!} \prod_{i=0}^{k-1} (3i+2)$$

If so, then do we have to write seperately the formula for the coefficients of $x^0, x^1$, because otherwhise the sum would be from $0$ to $-1$ ? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)The differential equation $y''+xy=0$ is given.

I want to find the solution of the differential equation, using the power series method.

That's what I have tried:We are looking for a solution of the form $y(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n$ with radius of convergence of the power series $R>0$.Then:

$$y'(x)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n a_n x^{n-1}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} x^n$$

$$y''(x)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (n+1) n a_{n+1} x^{n-1}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2} x^n$$Thus:$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2} x^n+ x \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n=0 \\ \Rightarrow \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} x^n+ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^{n+1}=0 \\ \Rightarrow \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} x^n+ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n-1} x^n=0 \\ \Rightarrow 2a_2+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left[ (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2}+ a_{n-1}\right] x^n=0$$So it has to hold:

$$a_2=0 \\ (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2}+a_{n-1}=0, \forall n=1,2,3, \dots$$For $n=1$: $3 \cdot 2 \cdot a_3+ a_0=0 \Rightarrow a_3=-\frac{a_0}{6}$

For $n=2$: $4 \cdot 3 \cdot a_4+a_1=0 \Rightarrow a_4=-\frac{a_1}{12}$

For $n=3$: $5 \cdot 4 \cdot a_5+a_2=0 \Rightarrow a_5=0$

For $n=4$: $6 \cdot 5 \cdot a_6+a_3=0 \Rightarrow 30 a_6-\frac{a_0}{6}=0 \Rightarrow a_6=\frac{a_0}{6 \cdot 30}=\frac{a_0}{180}$

For $n=5$: $7 \cdot 6 \cdot a_7+ a_4=0 \Rightarrow 7 \cdot 6 \cdot a_7-\frac{a_1}{12}=0 \Rightarrow a_7=\frac{a_1}{12 \cdot 42}$Will it be as follows?$$a_{3k+2}=0$$

$$a_{3k}=(-1)^k \frac{a_0}{(3k)!} \prod_{i=0}^{k-1} (3i+1)$$$$a_{3k+1}=(-1)^k \frac{a_1}{(3k+1)!} \prod_{i=0}^{k-1} (3i+2)$$

If so, then do we have to write seperately the formula for the coefficients of $x^0, x^1$, because otherwhise the sum would be from $0$ to $-1$ ? (Thinking)

Hi evinda, :)

Yes you do. So the final solution will be,

\[y(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{3k}x^{3k}+\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{3k+1}x^{3k+1}+\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{3k+2}x^{3k+2}\]

And of course the first summation would be zero since all the coefficients are zero and the for the second and third summations you can substitute the $a_{3k+1}$ and $a_{3k+2}$ values that you have obtained.

1. What is the purpose of writing separately?

The purpose of writing separately is to clearly and effectively communicate your ideas and findings in a structured and organized manner. Writing separately allows each section or component of your work to be focused and cohesive, making it easier for readers to understand and follow along.

2. Do all scientific papers need to be written separately?

Yes, all scientific papers should be written separately. This is because it allows for a clear and logical flow of information, making it easier for readers to understand and evaluate your work. It also allows for each section to be reviewed and revised independently, improving the overall quality of the paper.

3. Can I combine sections when writing a scientific paper?

While it may be tempting to combine sections to save time and effort, it is not recommended. Each section serves a specific purpose and combining them can result in a lack of clarity and coherence in your paper. It is best to follow the standard structure for scientific papers and write each section separately.

4. Is it necessary to follow a specific format when writing separately?

Yes, it is important to follow a specific format when writing separately for a scientific paper. This format typically includes an introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion section. However, the specific format may vary depending on the field of study or journal requirements.

5. Can I use the same language and style throughout all sections of a scientific paper?

No, it is important to use a different language and style for each section of a scientific paper. For example, the methods section should be written in a more technical and objective tone, while the introduction and discussion sections may use more descriptive and explanatory language. This helps to differentiate and clarify the purpose and content of each section.