Do we see the universe the way it is?

• Thread starter mdmaaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: As I recall, the book is about the application of the model-dependent realism to the universe, that there are many different ways of looking at the universe, each with their own model, but that there is no single theory or model that can claim to be the ultimate truth. In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of our observations and understanding of the universe due to our vantage point and use of instrumentation. The question of whether the universe we see is an illusion is brought up, with the idea that our perception may not fully align with reality. However, it is also pointed out that our theories and models have been successful in predicting and explaining phenomena, giving evidence that our observations are accurate. The concept of model-dependent realism is also mentioned as
Willowz said:
I don't understand. How do they choose?

Well, to name a few, by reflecting, hypothesizing, abstracting, metaphorizing and building models.

To a bee, a tree is no more than its color, texture, taste and smell. To a human, it is a symbol of myriad concepts.

Space news on Phys.org
when the philosophy forum was more open, i participated in similar discussions.

where i seemed to disagree with many of other pf members is whether the universe has substance in itself.

many seem to think that it is how we observe it to be. i disagree.

i think the universe is something exact. and anyone viewing it is basing his conclusion on the tools that he used. much like the blind men and the elephant.

I think the OP is referring to unfalsifiable theories a la the matrix. Biological limitations in trying to perceive nature the way it actually is. The universe could be created a second ago for all we know.

Oerg said:
I think the OP is referring to unfalsifiable theories a la the matrix. Biological limitations in trying to perceive nature the way it actually is. The universe could be created a second ago for all we know.

or reconfigured at each event providing new data at each interval. if this happened at a frame rate that is quicker than we can percieve it would appear analog. we have evolved to percieve things in our environment. keep in mind Earth is isolated by lots of space, then our solar system and more space. we can take this up to galaxy and observable universe. although the OU seems subjective. i mean your OU is at least our distance apart different than mine.