Do you currently own a cat or a dog? A PF poll

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary: Whatayamean OWN a cat? I AM a cat !In summary, the poll asks PF members if they currently own a dog or cat, or both. Forty percent of PF members own a dog, while forty percent own a cat. Additionally, a minority of PF members (ten percent) own both a dog and a cat.

Do you currently own dog(s) or cat(s)?

• Dog(s)

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Cat(s)

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Both dog(s) and cat(s)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Neither dogs nor cats

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Other/No opinion

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! I thought I do a fun poll on pet ownership among PF members -- specifically, do you currently own dog(s) or cat(s), or both, or neither.

I've always wondered what the distribution of "dog people" vs "cat people" among PF members, so I thought I'd ask all of you. The poll is open for 60 days, so feel free to answer!

(BTW, I currently own a lovely female a cat!)

Likes AlexCaledin
Physics news on Phys.org
BTW, the title of this thread is worded somewhat incorrectly, as I didn't take into account those who own more than one pet animal. The question is more accurate!

I own dogs, but would rather own cats. Or at least one of each. Or a dog I could housebreak and wasn't afraid of the sound of softly falling raindrops and refuses to go outside when it rains.

Whatayamean OWN a dog? I AM a dog !

Likes AlexCaledin, cnh1995 and berkeman
Greg Bernhardt said:
Fetch!
ARF !

Wait ... fetch WHAT? I always start running before I know what I'm doing.

Likes AlexCaledin
I don't own either. If I did it would be a cat as they poop in your neighbour's garden. Dogs have to be taken out for walks twice a day and you have to pick up their poop.

I'd like a couple of kittens.

Likes AlexCaledin
I voted "other", as I consider myself "owned" by the stinkin' feral cats that I've fed for the last 4 years.
Along with their possum, racoon, dog, coyote, mouse, bird, and worm friends. [ET AL! I'M SURE!] :oldgrumpy:

Likes AlexCaledin and DennisN
I am happily owned by a beast, a 7,3 kg male cat with sweet to very bad (biting) temper whom I love so much since saving him from the streets of Bucharest during a cool summer evening of June 24th, 2014.

Last edited:
Likes AlexCaledin and member 563992
dextercioby said:
I am happily owned by a beast, a 7,3 kg male cat with sweat to very bad (biting) temper whom I love so much since saving him from the streets of Bucharest during a cool summer evening of June 24th, 2014.
I really wouldn't want to diagram that sentence! :bugeye:
Two examples of the stuff like we did when I was in the 7th and 8th grades.
Examples_of_Reed-Kellogg_diagrams.jpg

Attachments

• Examples_of_Reed-Kellogg_diagrams.jpg
    Examples_of_Reed-Kellogg_diagrams.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 480
I've had cats most of my life, but since my (relatively new) wife is allergic to them, it's dogs for us now. We had two up until about three years ago, and now have only one, becleft Lupin. She's half Shar Pei and half something else, possibly Golden retriever. She doesn't look at all like a Shar Pei, but that's what her mother was.

I have a dog and several others (fishes), but I could not vote for both.
Previously, I had more others, but that was then and this is now.

We own neither cats nor dogs, but our neighbor's cat has adopted our yard as a home away from home.

flo.jpg

Attachments

• flo.jpg
    flo.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 360
Likes StatGuy2000, AlexCaledin and member 563992
skyshrimp said:
Dogs have to be taken out for walks twice a day
My dogs goes every 30 minutes, (I catch him starting to go) sometimes he goes outside and pees, multiple times, comes inside and then PEES AGAIN. Luckily I have tile, and I have those gel puppy papers tacked to the furniture he has selected as prime targets. I think he's INSANE. He never asks to go out, oh but he will ask for Doritos. He wakes me up at 3am and takes me to the Doritos, I yell at him to go to sleep and I go back to bed. Then at 5am, he wakes me up, I get up, maybe this time, he'll go outside, no, straight to the chips. I say no, go to sleep, (threaten to kill him) go back to bed. EVERY NIGHT.

Evo said:
My dogs goes every 30 minutes, (I catch him starting to go) sometimes he goes outside and pees, multiple times, comes inside and then PEES AGAIN.
He might have a bladder infection...

Likes AlexCaledin
Mark44 said:
He might have a bladder infection...
I'll have him rechecked, the dr said some some un-neutered male dogs are like that and he's too old to think about neutering. But I think you might be right, sometimes his urine looks dark, sometimes not.

While I am presently pet-free, I've owned both cats and dogs over my lifetime including both at the same time.

I've a dog that I've adopted in Constanța (otherwise he would have ended up in the streets; as he was given birth to into my friend's apartment; father unknown). He just turned nine 3 days ago. Sometimes I wake up not knowing where I am/what's happening and I see these legs suspended in the air: it's a funny feeling.
IMG_20180203_082953.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180203_082953.jpg
    IMG_20180203_082953.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 317
phinds said:
Whatayamean OWN a dog? I AM a dog !
Whatayamean OWN a cat? You mean being owned by a cat!

Likes epenguin and AlexCaledin
A female cat which I found in the street and have been keeping for over a year now.

Likes AlexCaledin
Two cats, two dogs, three humans, in order of importance.

Likes AlexCaledin
Have had cats and dogs together and currently have two male polydactyl cats

Likes StatGuy2000
gleem said:
Have had cats and dogs together and currently have two male polydactyl cats

I find polydactyl cats fascinating. Can your cats open a doorknob or hold a ball with one (polydactyl) paw?

StatGuy2000 said:
I find polydactyl cats fascinating. Can your cats open a doorknob or hold a ball with one (polydactyl) paw?
They don't seem to have much control over those extra toes and can't grasp things, although the extra surface area helps catching things. but it is fun to watch them bat their toys around.

Three (soon to be two, no one isn't dying but will be moving to Wyoming with one of my kids at the end of the month) cats and two dogs...

Blue Heeler here. Great dogs

1. Do you prefer cats or dogs?

This is a subjective question and varies from person to person. Some people may prefer cats, while others may prefer dogs. It ultimately depends on personal preference and experience with each animal.

2. What are the benefits of owning a cat or a dog?

Owning a cat or a dog can provide numerous benefits, such as companionship, stress relief, and increased physical activity. Studies have shown that interacting with animals can also have positive effects on mental health and overall well-being.

3. What are the responsibilities of owning a cat or a dog?

Owning a cat or a dog comes with various responsibilities, including providing food and water, regular exercise and playtime, grooming, and taking them to the veterinarian for checkups and vaccinations. It is important to also consider the financial responsibilities of owning a pet.

4. Which is easier to take care of, a cat or a dog?

This also depends on personal preference and the individual needs of the animal. Generally, cats are more independent and require less maintenance, while dogs may require more attention and care. It is important to research and understand the needs of each animal before deciding which is easier for you to take care of.

5. Can you own both a cat and a dog?

Yes, it is possible to own both a cat and a dog. However, it is important to consider the compatibility of the two animals and properly introduce them to ensure they get along. It is also important to have enough time and resources to properly care for both pets.