For physicists, what area do you specialize in (revamped)

In summary, the poll results so far show that the majority of people here on PF specialize in atomic, molecular, and optical physics, followed by biological physics and then computational physics.

(For physics PhD students, postdocs, and faculty only) What area of physics do you specialize in?

• atomic, molecular, and optical physics

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • astrophysics

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • biological physics

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • chemical physics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • computational physics

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • condensed matter physics

• fluid dynamics

• gravitational physics

• laser science

• materials physics

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • nuclear physics

• particles and fields

• physics of beams

• plasma physics

• polymer physics

• medical physics

• Other areas of physics

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! I had previously posted this poll question before, but I realized (after much feedback from you) that I had not appropriately asked the various research areas/divisions of physics, so I decided to post this new poll question, asking what area of research you specialize in.

Please note the following:

1. The categories listed in the question was taken directly from the APS website: (http://www.aps.org/membership/units/index.cfm), based on feedback from ZapperZ, among others in my previous poll attempt. If none of the research areas match what you specialized in, please click "Other areas of physics".

2. Please note that you can click multiple options if you have worked in more than one area of physics research.

3. As earlier, my question is directed to current physics students, postdocs, or faculty members. You can also answer if you have completed a physics PhD in physics, but ended up working either in a related area or outside of physics altogether (in which case click which research area of physics you specialized in your PhD research).

Physics news on Phys.org
I just took a look at the results of the poll thus far. While it is still very early (it's just over a day since I posted this thread), I'm surprised that at this stage that no one here on PF has reported to be working in condensed matter physics, given the size and importance of this field in physics departments.

Technically, biophysics is condensed matter physics.

Likes StatGuy2000
StatGuy2000 said:
I just took a look at the results of the poll thus far. While it is still very early (it's just over a day since I posted this thread), I'm surprised that at this stage that no one here on PF has reported to be working in condensed matter physics, given the size and importance of this field in physics departments.

I suspect it is partly because it is such a huge field. In reality it is divided into lots of sub-topic and people who work in those research areas rarely think of themselves as condensed matter physicists. Someone studying mechanical properties of grain boundaries in steel using TEM won't have much in common with someone specializing in say electrical measurements of superconducting qubits (which probably falls under device physics); not to mention the difference between theoretical and experimental work
Much of what I do probably falls under the "condensed matter" category, but certainly do not think of myself as working in that field.

Physics has become so specialized that broad categories like condensed matter are no longer very useful.

Likes StatGuy2000
Cool poll. I hope everyone eligible participates .

StatGuy2000 said:

Just because you don't detect it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There's a strong possibility that they are not aware of your poll, and/or they do not wish to participate.

Zz.

Likes StatGuy2000 and jim mcnamara
ZapperZ said:
Just because you don't detect it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There's a strong possibility that they are not aware of your poll, and/or they do not wish to participate.

Zz.

That's a fair point, although that would beg the question of why condensed matter physicists on PF would be less likely to be aware of my poll and/or wish to participate, in comparison to other specialties in physics.

I find f95toli's reply to be interesting -- perhaps "condensed matter physics" is comparatively more broad a category in comparison to other areas of physics?

StatGuy2000 said:
I find f95toli's reply to be interesting -- perhaps "condensed matter physics" is comparatively more broad a category in comparison to other areas of physics?

That would most certainly be the case; the wast majority of all physicists (80%?) work in areas related to condensed matter so it is hardly surprising that there are very distinct sub-categories.
I am not even quite sure if there a definition of condensed matter physics. Why are polymer physics and material physics NOT part of the condensed matter physics? whereas device physics (usually) is?

Hi everyone. Thus far (i.e. on February 24, 2017), I've seen the following:

1. The highest number of votes thus far are atomic, molecular, and optical physics and "other areas of physics", each at 37.5% (3 votes).

2. The next highest number of votes are for biological physics, computational physics, and gravitational physics, each at 25% (2 votes). Please note that multiple votes are allowed, so the percentages will not add up to 100%.

Please note that the poll closes on April 22, 2017. So I would encourage more people on PF who are physicists (whether currently active or past) to vote!

Last edited:
I specialize in the "teaching basic physics principles to friends" department, but it doesn't seem too appear as an option...

Comeback City said:
I specialize in the "teaching basic physics principles to friends" department, but it doesn't seem too appear as an option...

Do you have a PhD in physics? See #3 in my first post:

" As earlier, my question is directed to current physics students, postdocs, or faculty members. You can also answer if you have completed a physics PhD in physics, but ended up working either in a related area or outside of physics altogether (in which case click which research area of physics you specialized in your PhD research)."

StatGuy2000 said:
Do you have a PhD in physics? See #3 in my first post:

" As earlier, my question is directed to current physics students, postdocs, or faculty members. You can also answer if you have completed a physics PhD in physics, but ended up working either in a related area or outside of physics altogether (in which case click which research area of physics you specialized in your PhD research)."
Sorry I didn't see the part where it said I couldn't post at all...

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical physics involves using mathematical models and concepts to explain and predict physical phenomena, while experimental physics involves conducting experiments to observe and measure these phenomena in the real world.

What is the focus of your research as a physicist?

My research focuses on the field of quantum mechanics, specifically studying the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

How do you use mathematics in your work as a physicist?

Mathematics is a fundamental tool in physics, as it allows us to describe and understand the complex relationships and patterns in the natural world. In my work, I use mathematical equations and models to analyze and make predictions about physical phenomena.

Can you explain the concept of relativity in physics?

Relativity is a theory that describes how objects move and interact in space and time. It has two main branches: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which explains the effects of gravity on the motion of objects.

What practical applications does your area of specialization have?

The field of quantum mechanics has numerous practical applications, such as in the development of advanced technologies like quantum computers and sensors. It also helps us better understand the behavior of matter and energy, which has implications in fields like chemistry, medicine, and materials science.