Do you list a publication (in a REU application) if ?

In summary, if your name is included in a publication, you should list it on your curriculum vitae. However, it is important to specify your specific contributions, especially in your statement of purpose. In most subject areas, the primary author is usually the first author or first two authors, but in others, such as experimental high energy physics, authors may be listed alphabetically. As long as you can defend your contributions, you do not need to worry about being mistaken for a primary author.
tim_lou
Should I list a publication if the paper has my name in there but I didn't actually write anything in the paper? (except producing some plots and results). Particularly when the professor just put my name there as a sort of "courtesy"?

If so, how do I specify that I am not the primary author or do I just leave it as it is. What about in curriculum vitae?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should mention your specific contributions in your statement of purpose that you send to the REU.

tim_lou said:
Should I list a publication if the paper has my name in there but I didn't actually write anything in the paper? (except producing some plots and results). Particularly when the professor just put my name there as a sort of "courtesy"?

If so, how do I specify that I am not the primary author or do I just leave it as it is. What about in curriculum vitae?

Thanks for the help.

If the paper has your name on it, then you should list it. Now, whether you have a significant contribution to it is a different matter. You should, at the very least, be able to defend the portion that you are responsible for. Your professor is correct in including your name in the paper even if all you did was to produce some work that gave him the result.

For most subject areas, the "primary author" is usually the first author of the paper, or the first two authors of the paper. Some journals even allow for the designation of more than one authors who share equal primary contribution. So in such cases, who is the primary author is well-known. But in other areas, such as when there's a huge list of collaborators, such as an experimental high energy physics paper, the authors are listed alphabetically. Here, I don't think you need to worry about people confusing you for a primary author, mainly because the people in the field will only focus on the "brand-name" principle investigators out of the large group of people. There may even be a designated spoke person for that group.

Zz.

1. Do I list a publication if I am the first author?

Yes, you should list the publication as it showcases your ability to conduct research and contribute to a scientific publication.

2. Can I list a publication if it is not related to the research area of the REU program?

Yes, you can still list the publication as it demonstrates your overall research experience and skills.

3. Should I list a publication if it has not been published yet?

Yes, you can still list the publication as "in preparation" or "submitted" to show your ongoing research efforts and potential for publication.

4. Can I list a publication if I was a co-author rather than the first author?

Yes, you can still list the publication as it reflects your involvement and contribution to a scientific publication.

5. Should I list a publication if it was published a long time ago?

Yes, you should list the publication as it demonstrates your research experience and ability to contribute to a scientific publication, regardless of when it was published.