Do you use oil or butter when frying eggs?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, some people prefer to use oil when cooking eggs, while others prefer to use butter. Both methods have their benefits and drawbacks.
flyingpig
Okay I just saw a video on cracking eggs and this woman used butter into the pan and then cracks the egg into the pan.

I use sunflower oil. Does anyone know why butter is a substitute?

Also what does garlic do when you stir fry?

Is this question way too random?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Oil or butter help keep the egg from sticking. Eggs are very sticky in general. The differences between butter and oil usually come down to taste, and to a lesser extent, nutritional value.

I use butter because when combined with eggs, I can just HEAR my arteries hardening. :smile:

flyingpig said:
Okay I just saw a video on cracking eggs and this woman used butter into the pan and then cracks the egg into the pan.

I use sunflower oil. Does anyone know why butter is a substitute?

Also what does garlic do when you stir fry?

Is this question way too random?

thanks
Do you ever make an effort to look up anything? Ever?

I gently heat a cast-iron frying-pan, and when the temp seems right, introduce a dollop of butter and crack an egg into it. If you flick a bit of water into the pan, and the drop hops and pops and disappears, it's time for the butter.

Butter is best for flavorful cooking when you don't need high temperatures to cook your food. If you want to do a stir-fry, use only peanut oil, pre-heat your wok or pan, and wait until the oil has lost that streaky, runny look before adding anything to be cooked. If the oil isn't looking really flat and shiny, it's not yet up to pan temperature.

Greg Bernhardt said:
butter! Bacon fat is even better.
Yep! Or even fry the eggs after you have browned your salt pork and onions.

My girlfriend uses sunflower oil, I use either butter or margarine.

I use peanut oil for everything like this. Not for health reasons, I would just as soon eat a stick of butter if it looked appetizing, but I think it makes things taste great.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Yep, the best for cooking with cast iron. Especially when its fresh from cooked bacon and then eggs right in the pan.

Olive oil works well too.

What someone uses is by their preference.

KingNothing said:
Oil or butter help keep the egg from sticking. Eggs are very sticky in general. The differences between butter and oil usually come down to taste, and to a lesser extent, nutritional value.

That's not right, my pan doens't stick...

fluidistic said:
My girlfriend uses sunflower oil, I use either butter or margarine.

Good another woman agrees with me. Now I know I am eating right.

flyingpig said:
That's not right, my pan doens't stick...
While that may be true, the primary reason for oil/butter is indeed so that it does not stick to the pan.

Presumably, you have a non-stick Teflon pan, which may be why your eggs don't stick.

DaveC426913 said:
While that may be true, the primary reason for oil/butter is indeed so that it does not stick to the pan.

Presumably, you have a non-stick Teflon pan, which may be why your eggs don't stick.

I thought the uses of liquid was to make it cook faster.

flyingpig said:
I thought the uses of liquid was to make it cook faster.
A good point too.

So, now we have an experiment: You with your non-stick pan - does it cook an egg dry just as fast as if you used oil?

DaveC426913 said:
A good point too.

So, now we have an experiment: You with your non-stick pan - does it cook an egg dry just as fast as if you used oil?

About the same rate honestly. I guess I won't be using oil then.

Thanks y'all

Evo said:
Do you ever make an effort to look up anything? Ever?

Better to get advice from people you frequently talk with before going to complete strangers. Who knows, maybe PF members have a better sense of taste?

But I heard using olive oil is better or using a non-stick pan.

Butter makes everything taste better. Therefore, I use butter -- lots of butter.

My grandmother used to make scrambled eggs with cottage cheese blended in and more boiled in butter rather than fried. They were the best.

A bunch of responses...

I skipped them all because...

If you are using oil, you are not "frying eggs" you are murdering them. I've said it before in a thread about using Calphalon vs. non-stick pans:

If you fry/scramble eggs properly in Calphalon (or cast-iron even) they won't stick. If you are not using butter, then you are not doing it properly.

[/correct answer]

If this thread was an attempt to get me to make scrambled eggs all I can say is it worked :)

Anyhow the better question is what type of cheese should I be putting on my eggs?

Containment said:
Anyhow the better question is what type of cheese should I be putting on my eggs?
All of them.

Greg Bernhardt said:

I do stand corrected. Bacon fat for a sunny-side up, or over-easy egg. What that does to the edges of the egg whites, OMG!

Still, prefer butter for anything resembling an omelet.

Chi Meson said:
I do stand corrected. Bacon fat for a sunny-side up, or over-easy egg. What that does to the edges of the egg whites, OMG!

Still, prefer butter for anything resembling an omelet.
Yep. Butter is my go-to for omelets. For over easy (my favorite), my father and I used to take salt pork when camping. Bacon occasionally, but salt port more frequently. We'd have a small campfire in the evening, usually, and spear thin strips of salt pork on green twigs and toast them in the fire until they were browned and bubbling. Mmm!

Olive oil! How come no one mentioned it? Extra virgin all the way!

Butter here. I find it just adds some extra taste.

Although if there is no butter around I would use oil.

Last edited:
WiFO215 said:
For eggs?!

WiFO215 said:

Olive oil is not for frying!

Chi Meson said:
Olive oil is not for frying!
Have to disagree with you there - as long as you're careful not to overheat it and your careful what you fry with it, it can add a whole new richness. I sauté with olive oil all the time.

saute is one thing. Frying is not saute. You don't saute an egg. Frying eggs or omelets, it's butter. Or bacon fat for the fry. That's my final answer.

Regis said:
And you are right for $64,000!

Plus, if you want to use olive oil for cooking, don't bother using the real extra-virgin cold-pressed stuff. Use the stuff expressed under heat. It is clearer and has a higher smoke-point. The cold-pressed stuff is great for drizzling on bread or making vinaigrette dressings - not for cooking.

I use olive oil.

On less positive note: every time I try to make fried eggs, 75% of my attempts ending up with omelette, really sad...=(

flyingpig said:
Good another woman agrees with me. Now I know I am eating right.

I you my female opinion to negate this. Butter... mmmm... bacon fat... mmmmmmmmm!

You might be eating healthy, but you aren't eating right.

physics girl phd said:
I you my female opinion to negate this. Butter... mmmm... bacon fat... mmmmmmmmm!

You might be eating healthy, but you aren't eating right.
You da gurl!

turbo said:
You da gurl!

doh... "I you my..."

Too late at night here (and after 6 hours grading some tests I gave... and still only ~25% done... ~220 students, and a problems-based test). Typos abound... Especially when using a beer to wind down.

Or maybe just thinking of butter and bacon fat... and how could someone NOT use butter or bacon fat?