DOE CCI vs SULI: Physics Summer Programs for College Students

• Thread starter Leah123rose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    doe suli
In summary, there is a discussion about summer programs for physics students, specifically the Department of Energy's CCI and SULI programs. The person speaking is considering CCI over SULI because it may be less competitive and they have completed a year of intro physics and math. They are wondering if there are significant differences between the programs and if CCI is geared towards research. Another person mentions that SULI is very competitive and that they would apply for CCI if they were in community college. It is noted that students can only participate in SULI twice and apply up to three times, and that non-community college students cannot apply for CCI. Personal experiences with CCI and SULI are shared and it is ultimately
Leah123rose
Hi everyone! I'm looking into summer programs for physics students. The Department of Energy allows you to apply to only one program and I'm stuck between CCI and SULI. I currently go to community college but will have completed a year of intro physics and math thru ordinary diff eqs by the summer. I'm considering CCI over SULI because I think it may be less competitive. Do you know if there are significant differences in the programs? Is CCI geared towards people who want to go into research?

Physics news on Phys.org
Leah123rose said:
I'm considering CCI over SULI because I think it may be less competitive.

SULI is very competitive. A year of intro physics is not very competitive for SULI.

Likes Leah123rose
At Fermilab (where I was a SULI intern), the CCI and SULI students had very similar projects, were housed together, attended the same seminars, etc. As far as I could tell, there was very little difference.

Likes Leah123rose
If I were in community college, then I would apply for CCI. I wish I had known and applied while I was in a community college.

• You can only participate in SULI two times and apply up to three times. (Reference: https://science.energy.gov/wdts/suli/eligibility/)
  • Students not in community college cannot apply for CCI- you can apply for SULI later if or when you transfer to a university.
  • SULI and CCI interns were indistinguishable without the paperwork- projects were equally interesting and prestigious.

Likes Leah123rose
Thanks Dishsoap and Joshy, I will apply for CCI :)

1. What is the difference between DOE CCI and SULI?

DOE CCI and SULI are both summer programs for college students interested in physics, but they have some key differences. DOE CCI (Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship) is a program that focuses on computational science and high-performance computing, while SULI (Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship) focuses on research experience in a specific field of science, including physics.

2. Who can apply for these summer programs?

DOE CCI is open to graduate students pursuing a PhD in computational science, while SULI is open to undergraduate students pursuing a degree in any field of science. Both programs have specific eligibility criteria, so it is important to check their websites for more information.

3. Are these programs paid?

Yes, both DOE CCI and SULI are paid programs. Participants receive a stipend for their work during the summer, as well as travel and housing assistance.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available in these programs?

DOE CCI offers research opportunities in computational science, including projects in areas such as high-performance computing, data analytics, and machine learning. SULI offers research opportunities in various fields, including physics, at national laboratories across the United States.

5. How can these summer programs benefit me?

Participating in DOE CCI or SULI can provide valuable research experience, networking opportunities, and exposure to cutting-edge technology and scientific advancements. These programs can also help students gain a better understanding of their interests and career goals in the field of physics.