Does a Magnet on a Fridge Affect Electricity?

In summary: The results showed that although there was an increase in temperature at the seal area, there was no adverse effect on electrical consumption.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

Could you tell me does putting magnets on fridge doors consume more electricity or no effect?

Thanks.

Regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
No effect.

Did you think there might be?

Only if the magnets on your fridge are electromagnets.

Did you know the some refrigerators have magnetic door seals to close the door tightly? Putting a few low power magnets on door won't matter.

Dear Experts

Thanks for your responses.

@vk6kro
My fridge door seems to be using electromagnetic hidden in the door seals.
I recently put a harddisk magnet at the middle part of the edge of the door, just directly on the seal area.

I did not measure the temperature difference but after leaving the magnet there for about 10 minutes, its felt like there was an increase in temperature at the seal area.

So, I was concerned there could be an adverse effect on electrical consumption if I put a really strong magnet there.

@SteamKing
Yes, that is what i was worried about. The way seals seems to have electromagnets in there as the door seal is quite warm to touch normally.
After putting on the magnet i felt that there was a bit of temperature increase.
Nowadays, are'nt all fridge doors using electromagnets?

@GingerLee
Yes, that's what i have been doing. I have several low power standard fridge magnets on the door. Those I am not concerned. So, do you think that high power magnets on electromagnetic door seals would be a problem? If so, in what way ? Thats what I am trying to find out.

I think given the effect of magnetism on electromagnets, more current could be induced?
If so, it sounds like more electrical consumption?
Or is it the other way round, free energy?

haha.

You can check if they are electromagnets. Just attach a piece of soft iron to one of them and cut the power to the fridge.
If the iron falls off or is easier to remove, they are electromagnets.

However, there doesn't seem to be any advantage in using electromagnets when rare Earth magnets are cheap and plentiful and use no power.

My fridge uses soft rubber seals with occasional weak permanent magnets in them. This seems to be adequate.

Quite a few deep freezers heat the sealing surfaces to prevent buildup of ice. But I´ve never heard of one using electromagnets. As vk6kro said, the magnet in the door seal is strong enough.
I disassembled seal once and found a strip of magnetic material all along the seal.

@vk6kro and mainmonides

Thanks so much for your advice.

Sure, will test it out.

Have a nice weekend!

Regards
Pascal

1. How does a magnet on a fridge affect electricity?

The magnetic field created by the fridge magnet does not directly affect the flow of electricity in the fridge or in the room. However, it can interfere with other electronic devices such as pacemakers or credit cards if they come into close contact with the magnet.

2. Can a magnet on a fridge disrupt the electrical circuit of the fridge?

No, the magnet on the fridge door does not have enough strength to disrupt the electrical circuit of the fridge. The fridge is designed to withstand external magnetic fields and will continue to function normally even with a magnet attached to it.

3. Does the location of the fridge magnet make a difference in its effect on electricity?

The location of the fridge magnet does not affect its impact on electricity. As long as the magnet is not in direct contact with a specific electronic device, it will not affect its function.

4. Can a magnet on a fridge increase or decrease the energy consumption of the fridge?

No, the presence of a fridge magnet does not have any significant impact on the energy consumption of the fridge. The fridge will continue to use the same amount of energy regardless of whether there is a magnet on it or not.

5. Is it safe to keep a magnet on a fridge near food items?

Yes, it is safe to keep a magnet on a fridge near food items. The magnet's field is not strong enough to affect the food in any way. However, it is important to make sure that the magnet is kept away from sensitive electronic devices that may be affected by it.