Does Ad Block Plus No Longer Work On Google Platforms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of ads appearing on YouTube despite having an ad blocker extension such as ABP installed. The possibility of having a virus or the extension not working on Google/Alphabet platforms is mentioned. The suggestion to switch to Ublock Origin, a more effective ad blocker, is also given. The topic of "Acceptable Ads" and the option to disable it is brought up, along with the recommendation to use AdGuard AdBlocker or Super adblocker for YouTube instead.
kyphysics
I used to successfully block ads on YouTube with ABP.

Now, I'm seeing them. Could I have a virus? Or, does ABP simply not block stuff on Google/Alphabet platforms anymore?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is this on Desktop or mobile? If the former, which browser are you using?

The ABP website says that by default, the extension allows "Acceptable Ads":

1593007360734.png

Maybe this feature is switched on in your extension. Read this page to see how you can disable this option.

In my Chrome, I have the AdGuard AdBlocker extension installed, and it successfully blocks all ads on YouTube.

I don't know the answers to your questions, however have you considered to switch to Ublock Origin? It's the most recommended one for several reasons that duckduckgo or google will reveal if you're curious.

AdBlock started asking company's to pay to be allowed to show adverts via their plug in so in effect, they are allowing adverts from companys that pay them to do so. Switch to an alternate blocker that is genuinly focues on blocking ads and not on making a quick buck.

Likes omigosh and harborsparrow
My yahoo email is now showing ads... not much of an inconvenience, yet.

I had to switch to uBlock Origins instead. Works better (in Firefox for Windows at least).

I'm using Super adblocker for Youtube it works great not even showing a single ad. I'm using it on chrome.

1. What is Ad Block Plus and how does it work?

Ad Block Plus is a popular ad-blocking software that blocks ads from appearing on websites while you browse the internet. It works by using a filter list to block ads from known ad servers and by hiding ads on the page using HTML and CSS rules.

2. Why is there concern that Ad Block Plus no longer works on Google platforms?

Recently, there have been reports that Ad Block Plus is no longer blocking ads on Google platforms, such as Google search and YouTube. This has caused concern for users who rely on the software to block unwanted ads while browsing.

3. Is Ad Block Plus completely ineffective on Google platforms?

No, Ad Block Plus is not completely ineffective on Google platforms. While there have been reports of some ads still appearing, the software is still able to block the majority of ads on Google platforms. However, there may be some ads that are able to bypass the software's filters.

4. Why is this happening and who is responsible?

The reason behind Ad Block Plus not working on Google platforms is due to Google's new ad policies and techniques for displaying ads. The responsibility lies with Google for implementing these new policies and making it more difficult for ad blockers to block all ads on their platforms.

5. Are there any alternatives to Ad Block Plus for blocking ads on Google platforms?

Yes, there are other ad-blocking software options available for blocking ads on Google platforms. Some popular alternatives include uBlock Origin, Adblock, and Ghostery. However, it's important to note that these software may also face similar challenges with blocking ads on Google platforms due to the new ad policies.