Does alpha channel really need 8-bits?

In summary: 8 bits allows for 256 different values, so it can hold a percentage value for alpha channel transparency.
Flashbond
Hi,

I am looking for the differences between 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit colors for a while. I saw that actually 32-bit color is also like 24-bit color but plus 8-bit alpha channel. Since 8-bit information represents 256 possible values for each color channel, what does 8-bit do exactly for alpha channel to store color or transparency info?

I hope I didn't ask a stupid thing. Thanks a lot!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Flashbond said:
Hi,

I am looking for the differences between 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit colors for a while. I saw that actually 32-bit color is also like 24-bit color but plus 8-bit alpha channel. Since 8-bit information represents 256 possible values for each color channel, what does 8-bit do exactly for alpha channel to store color or transparency info?

I hope I didn't ask a stupid thing. Thanks a lot!
For those folks (like me) who had no idea what you are asking about, here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGBA_color_space

Are you asking specifically about Photoshop? This thread probably belongs in one of the technical forums -- Physics or Computing?

EDIT -- Thread moved by the Mods to Computing. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Flashbond
Ah, ok I got my answer. It holds the percentage information of the alpha channel. This makes sense. Otherwise 8-bit channel badwidth wouldl be very unneccesarry if it was only holding transparent or not. Thanks a lot!

Hey, always happy to help... :wink:

It's exactly the same as the other components, why would it be any different? r is a 0-255 value for how intense the red part of the color is, a is how intense the alpha is.

The alpha channel could use any depth from not existing, 1 -bit and up depending on you needs.

glappkaeft said:
The alpha channel could use any depth from not existing, 1 -bit and up depending on you needs.
You can’t use 1 bit for alpha. That’s not alpha, that’s masking. 1 bit would give you the option of having the pixel fully there or not at all, no transluscency at all.

newjerseyrunner said:
You can’t use 1 bit for alpha. That’s not alpha, that’s masking. 1 bit would give you the option of having the pixel fully there or not at all, no transluscency at all.
Yes, in this case I must agree with @newjerseyrunner because alpha must able to have at least 101 value in order to represent transparency percentage.

Yeah, but because engineers tend to think in base 16 rather than base 10, 100 would be completely arbitrary. Thinking of parts per 256 is simply easier when you do base 16 stuff all day.

1. Why is 8-bits the standard for alpha channels?

Eight bits is the standard for alpha channels because it allows for 256 levels of transparency, providing a smooth and accurate representation of opacity. This level of precision is necessary for professional graphics and design work.

2. Can alpha channels work with less than 8-bits?

Technically, alpha channels can work with less than 8-bits, but the level of transparency will not be as accurate or smooth. This may be acceptable for some basic applications, but for professional work, 8-bits is the preferred standard.

3. Is there any benefit to using more than 8-bits for alpha channels?

Using more than 8-bits for alpha channels may provide a higher level of precision and accuracy, but it also requires a significant increase in file size and processing power. For most applications, 8-bits is sufficient and efficient.

4. Can alpha channels be used for anything other than transparency?

Yes, alpha channels can also be used for creating masks and mattes, which can be used for various types of image manipulation and compositing.

5. Are there any alternatives to using alpha channels for transparency?

Yes, there are other methods for creating transparency in images, such as using a separate transparency layer or using a vector-based format like SVG. However, alpha channels remain the standard for creating transparency in raster images.