Does anyone here trades in the stock exchange? (U.S)

In summary, the person gives general advice on stock investing, suggests having disposable income saved, and advises against buying small amounts. They also suggest buying into a retirement account, and buying high and selling low are not recommended.
No, I don't have a margin account. That was the problem. I traded one symbol too much and didnt wait for my sales to settle and cover my purchases. No big deal if its a once in a while thing. The first time I got the warning was an accident, the second I knew it would happen. :p

I hardly trade at all these days. Just anxiously wait for dividend month to pay off some bills.

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
What benefits? They are different, depending on your goal:

-I'm retired and want 100% guaranteed returns, with no chance of loss. (Don't invest in the stock market).
-I'm 30, single, making a lot of money and maxing out my 401k already with an S&P Index fund, but I'm bored and want to play a little some of my spare cash. (Try daytrading with your play money!)
-I'm 30 and want to buy a house next year; how should I invest? (something safe, not stocks.) The ratios are different and types of stocks (or index fund) are different. And just beating the savings rate doesn't require stocks at all. And saving for a house depends on the timeframe.

How about "I'm under 20 and want to get into the game not necessarily for long term reasons"?

For a quick buck the market sure does beat vegas! But know that is pretty much what you are doing. Speculating for a quick buck is much like gambling. Thats not to say that the house always wins though...

ModusPwnd said:
No, I don't have a margin account. That was the problem. I traded one symbol too much and didnt wait for my sales to settle and cover my purchases. No big deal if its a once in a while thing. The first time I got the warning was an accident, the second I knew it would happen. :p

I hardly trade at all these days. Just anxiously wait for dividend month to pay off some bills.

who's the broker ?

I had a professor who used turbulent flow theory to model the stock market with one of his grad students. They made loads of money and started a company based off of it.

jhae2.718 said:
I had a professor who used turbulent flow theory to model the stock market with one of his grad students. They made loads of money and started a company based off of it.

Definitely beyond my level of knowledge.