Does anyone know how to make rust from steel plates

In summary, the speaker wants to make 50 pounds of iron oxide from a couple hundred pounds of plate steel through electrolysis. Due to safety concerns, they plan to process the steel in 2 pound batches in a polyurethane tub and are interested in saving the hydrogen gas. They also mention that grinding the steel into granules or powder can speed up the process, and suggest adding oxygen or hydrogen peroxide for even faster results. The speaker also mentions having access to power tools for this process.
eightbitbeast
I want to make some iron oxide from plate steel i have a couple hundred pounds that I can process but want to make about 50 pounds id prefer to just do it by electrolysis. Do to safety issues I would prefer to process it in 2 pound batches in a polyurethane tub. I would also like to save the hydrogen gas I am mainly curious if this process is the most efficent or safest.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you were to grind your steel into granules or powder you would get a result more quickly.
Add additional oxygen if you want to speed things up even more,add some some hydrogen peroxide.
I don't think that would get into danger territory but you might want to check that.

Likes eightbitbeast
Thank you ill look into that i have plenty of power tools i can use

1. How is rust formed on steel plates?

Rust is formed on steel plates through a process called oxidation. When iron, which is a main component of steel, comes in contact with oxygen and moisture, a chemical reaction occurs that produces rust.

2. Can rust be intentionally created on steel plates?

Yes, rust can be intentionally created on steel plates by exposing them to a combination of oxygen and moisture. This can be done through methods such as electrolysis or chemical reactions.

3. What materials are needed to make rust on steel plates?

In order to make rust on steel plates, you will need steel plates, water or a source of moisture, and oxygen. You may also need a catalyst, such as salt, to speed up the rusting process.

4. How long does it take for rust to form on steel plates?

The time it takes for rust to form on steel plates varies depending on the environmental conditions and the method used to create rust. In general, rust can start to form within a few hours to a few days.

5. Is making rust on steel plates harmful to the environment?

Creating rust on steel plates does not pose any significant harm to the environment. However, it is important to properly dispose of any chemicals or materials used in the process to avoid polluting the environment.