Does anyone use EFD or other CAD based CFD software?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of EFD as an addon to Pro Engineer for thermo and fluid dynamic simulations. The person is looking for suggestions and advice on the pros and cons of using EFD and mentions their company's use of ANSYS and CFDesign for coupled physics analysis.
redargon
Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone uses EFD for doing thermo and/or fluid dynamic simulations. In particular, as an addon to Pro Engineer.

My company is looking at getting some CFD type software and seeing that we already use ProE for drawing, I though this might be a good option, but I'm not sure if it has any pros and cons that can only be discovered after using the program.

We design various products, so it needs to be flexible. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help

Engineering news on Phys.org
My company uses ANSYS, which is a very versatile and well supported FEA package from what I have seen. We don't do a lot of CFD, but we do a lot of coupled physics analysis.

We use, among other things, CFDesign which is an add on for Pro/E.

Thanks for the help, i'll look into those

1. What is EFD and other CAD based CFD software?

EFD (Engineering Fluid Dynamics) and other CAD (Computer-Aided Design) based CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) software are computer programs that use numerical methods to simulate and analyze fluid flow and heat transfer in engineering and scientific applications.

2. How is EFD and other CAD based CFD software used?

EFD and other CAD based CFD software is used to model and analyze fluid flow and heat transfer in various engineering and scientific fields such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and environmental engineering. It is also used in research and development to optimize designs and improve performance of products or processes.

3. What are the advantages of using EFD and other CAD based CFD software?

Some advantages of using EFD and other CAD based CFD software include faster and more accurate analysis compared to traditional experimental methods, cost-effectiveness, and the ability to simulate complex and dynamic systems. It also allows for the evaluation of multiple design alternatives and optimization of designs without the need for physical prototypes.

4. What are the limitations of EFD and other CAD based CFD software?

Like any other computer program, EFD and other CAD based CFD software have limitations. These include the need for a high level of expertise to use and interpret the results, the potential for errors due to simplifications or assumptions made in the simulation, and the computational time required for complex simulations.

5. How does EFD and other CAD based CFD software compare to other CFD software?

EFD and other CAD based CFD software have advantages over traditional CFD software as they can directly use CAD models for simulations, eliminating the need for manual meshing. This results in faster and more accurate results. However, EFD and other CAD based CFD software may have limitations in terms of the complexity and types of simulations that can be performed compared to other CFD software.