Does attraction vs repulsion depend on graviton spin?

Heidi
Hi Pfs,
I read somewhere that if the graviton had a spin 1, then gravity would be repelling.
Is there a formula showing that the attract-repel depends on the parity of the carrier's spin?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Heidi said:
I read somewhere that if the graviton had a spin 1, then gravity would be repelling.
You have 405 posts here at PF and post "I read somewhere..."? Please post a link...

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Vanadium 50
Heidi said:
Sorry,
I did not say where because i am not sure i could trust it:
https://www.quora.com/Quantum-Field...s-particles-of-even-integer-spin-only-attract
I think that this can be read somewhere else. Maybe on Physics forum.
Quora would not usually be a valid source. Can you please try to find an original source, preferably in a peer-reviewed journal?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Acceptable Sources:
Generally, discussion topics should be traceable to standard textbooks or to peer-reviewed scientific literature. Usually, we accept references from journals that are listed in the Thomson/Reuters list (now Clarivate):

https://mjl.clarivate.com/home

Use the search feature to search for journals by words in their titles.

In recent years, there has been an increasing number of "fringe" and Internet-only journals that appear to have lax reviewing standards. We do not generally accept references from such journals. Note that some of these fringe journals are listed in Thomson Reuters. Just because a journal is listed in Thomson Reuters does not mean it is acceptable.

References that appear only on http://www.arxiv.org/ (which is not peer-reviewed) are subject to review by the Mentors. We recognize that in some fields this is the accepted means of professional communication, but in other fields, we prefer to wait until formal publication elsewhere. References that appear only on viXra (http://www.vixra.org) are never allowed.

Heidi said:
if the graviton had a spin 1, then gravity would be repelling.
That statement, in so far as it has meaning at all, is wrong. Everything repels everything else? I am not sure that's even a logical possibility, and in any event that's not the property of a spin-1 field. A statement like "two identical fermions would repel under an Abelian spin-1 mediated interaction" is at least specific enough to be discussed.

However, I don't think it's PF's job to hunt down justification for what random people post on other sites, like Quora or Youtube.

Likes dextercioby, ohwilleke and berkeman
Can we consider that it was a false start?
It begins now like that:

I have in my hand a book written by Antony Zee.
It is Quantum field theory in a nutshell.
Zee writes on page 26 of my edition :
The presence of two delta function sourcs at x1 and x2 has lowered the energy.
In other words the two sources attract each other by the virtue of theit coupling to the scalar
field phi.

The next paragraph is Coulomb and Newton repulsion and attraction.
He writes: we saw that the exchange a spin 0 particle produces an attratice force,
of a spin 1 a repulsive force, of a spin 2 an attractive force.
That was the origin of my question.

Zee consider the 3 cases separately and found these results.
Does it come from just one rule or formula or principle?

Last edited by a moderator:
At least we have a well-defined question. Unfortunately, I do not know if there is a general "rule". (Or if there is, if most people could understand it) Spin-0 and spin-1's difference comes from the (anti-)commutation properties of γ matrices, Spin-0 doesn't have any, and spin-1 has one. That's where the relative minus sign comes from.

The sorts of spin-2 theories one can write down are very restricted. I am not sure if this argument extends that far or not.

Heidi said:
Hi Pfs,
Is there a formula showing that the attract-repel depends on the parity of the carrier's spin?
thanks
If graviton had spin 1 then it would be like a photon, i.e. it would obey equations of electrodynamics. As you know, in electrodynamics two positive charges repel.

Demystifier said:
If graviton had spin 1 then it would be like a photon, i.e. it would obey equations of electrodynamics. As you know, in electrodynamics two positive charges repel.
Or maybe a more general vector boson based on some SU(N) gauge group and a non trivial beta function 😜

Feynman's book on gravity contains some stuff about this, but I'll have to check what exactly.

Likes ohwilleke
Does this depend on the dimension of space time?
I think of the dimensions which are added in string theory.

Heidi said:
Does what exactly depend on the dimension of space time?

Heidi said:
I think of the dimensions which are added in string theory.
No, the action for electrodynamics (in covariant form) looks essentially the same in any number of dimensions.

Likes ohwilleke
Another question:
Are there theories with higher spin than the graviton, carrying interactions?

Heidi said:
Another question:
Are there theories with higher spin than the graviton, carrying interactions?
Steven Weinberg offers this comment in The Quantum Theory of Fields I, pg. 253:
"The fields of massless particles of spin ##j\geq 3## would have to couple to conserved tensors with three or more spacetime indices, but aside from total derivatives there are none, so high-spin massless particles cannot produce long-range forces.

Likes ohwilleke, Demystifier, bhobba and 1 other person
Antony Zee describes the early universe.
Structures emerged with denser regions where protons and neutrons were close together.
The attractive nuclear force mediated by the spin 0 particle eventually ignites stars.
What are these spin 0 oarticles. (the gluons spin is 1) ?

Heidi said:
The attractive nuclear force mediated by the spin 0 particle eventually ignites stars.
I guess he talks of pions, which in effective models can the thought of as carriers of nuclear force.

Likes Heidi