Does course load matter in final semester?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a lighter course load in the final semester will affect graduate school admissions and if it is acceptable to take a course unrelated to one's graduate studies for personal interest. The conclusion is that a lighter course load is not a major concern and taking a course for personal interest is acceptable. However, it is also mentioned that it may be beneficial to take courses that will be helpful in graduate school.
jbrussell93
I am wondering whether graduate schools really care about final semester course load. I am a senior physics major, applying to graduate schools in geophysics. Currently I am enrolled in the normal 16hr course load but am considering dropping down to 12 hours for my final semester. I've never taken less than 15 hours but I would like to lighten my load in the final semester for several reasons:

- I am working on a first author manuscript that my advisor wants me to submit by the end of my senior year. I haven't had much time to work on it this semester due to classes and applying to fellowships/grad schools. I think this should be one of my priorities for next semester.

- I have to write my senior thesis next semester (on different project than the manuscript).

- I am taking my first graduate course in seismology and I would really like to excel in this because 1) my advisor is teaching it, 2) I am the first undergrad to ever take the course, 3) it is the field I will be pursuing for graduate studies.

- I have finished all requirements for the physics major (and some), and it would just be nice to have a lighter load in my final semester... Also, I will be visiting grad schools in the spring and likely will miss some class.

So, are these reasons valid and will admissions commities raise an eyebrow when they see my final semester being relatively light?Another concern: One of the courses that I am planning to take is ornithology (the study of birds). Bird watching is a hobby of mine so this course would really just be for my own personal pleasure and is unrelated to my goals for graduate school. I have never taken an unrelated class just for my own amusement... Would this look bad or should I really stick to courses that relate to my grad school interests? My thoughts are that this will be my last chance to take a course like this before graduate school.

Thanks for any advice PF friends.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll be fine.

It may raise a flag if you never excelled with a full course load (but even that is rarely a deal breaker). A single semester with a less than full workload when you don't need the credits is not a concern.

As for taking a course for interest sake, that's perfectly fine too. A diverse education is not a weakness.

Thanks for the input- that is definitely a relief.

I am still unsure whether I should take the ornithology course or get a head start on a course that I will need to take in grad school. For example, although I am minoring in geology, I know that I will need to take a few more undergraduate-level geo courses in grad school. I could even take signal processing from the electrical engineering department as that is useful for seismology. But again, my thinking is that I will be able to take those courses in grad school, while I will not have a chance to take ornithology later on. I will at least be taking the grad-level seismology course I guess...

Finally semester won't matter at all. When you apply, they only have transcripts for the previous semester. You send final transcript once you are accepted so when they do see it, you are already in.

I can understand your concerns about your final semester course load and its impact on your graduate school applications. However, I would like to assure you that graduate schools do consider the course load in the final semester, but it is not the only factor they consider in the admissions process. Admissions committees also look at your overall academic performance, research experience, letters of recommendation, and other factors.

That being said, it is important to prioritize your time and focus on your research and thesis writing in your final semester. If dropping down to 12 hours will allow you to dedicate more time to these important tasks, then it may be a wise decision. It is also impressive that you are the first undergraduate to take the graduate course in seismology and that your advisor is teaching it, so excelling in this course could have a positive impact on your application.

As for the ornithology course, while it may not directly relate to your graduate studies, it can still demonstrate your passion for learning and your ability to balance different interests. It may also provide a break from your other rigorous courses and allow you to recharge your mind. However, if you feel that your time and energy would be better spent on other courses related to your graduate studies, then it may be worth considering dropping the ornithology course.

In conclusion, while your final semester course load and course selection may be considered by graduate schools, it is not the only factor they look at. It is important to prioritize your time and focus on your research and thesis, but also allow yourself some time to pursue other interests and hobbies. Ultimately, your passion, dedication, and overall academic performance will have a greater impact on your graduate school applications.

1. How does course load affect my final semester GPA?

Course load can have a significant impact on your final semester GPA. Taking on too many courses can lead to a heavier workload and less time to focus on each course, potentially resulting in lower grades. On the other hand, taking on a lighter course load can give you more time to devote to each course, potentially leading to higher grades. It is important to find a balance that works for you.

2. Will a heavier course load make me more prepared for my future career?

It depends on the individual and their specific career goals. While taking on a heavier course load may demonstrate determination and time management skills, it can also lead to burnout and potentially lower grades. It is important to consider your personal capabilities and the impact a heavy course load may have on your overall academic performance.

3. Can I still participate in extracurricular activities with a heavy course load in my final semester?

Yes, it is possible to participate in extracurricular activities while managing a heavy course load. However, it may require effective time management and prioritization. It is important to carefully consider your commitments and make sure you are not overextending yourself.

4. Will a lighter course load in my final semester affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

It depends on the requirements and expectations of the specific graduate program you are applying to. Some programs may value a heavier course load and see it as a sign of academic rigor, while others may value a well-rounded academic experience and consider other factors such as extracurricular activities and research experience. It is important to research the specific requirements and expectations of the graduate programs you are interested in.

5. How can I determine the right course load for my final semester?

The right course load for your final semester will depend on your personal capabilities, academic goals, and future plans. It is important to consider your strengths and weaknesses, the time and effort required for each course, and any outside commitments you may have. You may also want to consult with an academic advisor or mentor for guidance and support in determining the appropriate course load for you.