Does Deleting Files in a Shared Dropbox Folder Affect Other Users?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, when using Dropbox to share documents, deleting a file will make the link invalid and anyone who has downloaded the file will still have it. Whether you own the shared folder or not, deleting a file will only remove it from your account and not affect other members unless you are the owner of the shared folder.
TSN79
I'm often involved in projects where Dropbox is used to share documents, and members are invited in order to gain access to a folder established by one of the members (not me). I recently got a message that my Dropbox quota (2 GB) is us up. I don't sync anything locally, I only use the documents online. If I delete the documents online in order to free more space, won't I be deleting them for everyone else as well? Or doesn't it work that way...?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you delete a file on Dropbox, then any links to the file will no longer be valid. If someone has downloaded a copy of the file before you deleted it, then they will still have that file.

I read somewhere that it matters if I "own" the shared folder or not. If I don't, then all I do is delete my copy of the file. But if I do then I'll delete it for everybody. Does that sound right?

TSN79 said:
I read somewhere that it matters if I "own" the shared folder or not. If I don't, then all I do is delete my copy of the file. But if I do then I'll delete it for everybody. Does that sound right?
No, it doesn't sound right. The box is just a box. It's either full or it isn't. It isn't different states for different people at the same time. If you remove things from it, it will no longer be full.

Try thinking of it more like a physical box. It really isn't more complicated than that.

TSN79 said:
Yes, you are right. According to Dropbox,
What happens when I delete a shared folder?
If you delete a file from a shared folder, any member of the folder can restore the file.

If you own the shared folder:
  • After you permanently delete it, the folder is deleted from the Dropbox accounts of all members and their access is permanently removed
  • If you want to leave members with a copy of the folder, you can just unshare it instead
If you don’t own the shared folder:
  • Permanently deleting it removes the folder from your Dropbox account
  • All other members of the folder still have access

• Informative
Likes anorlunda

Related to Does Deleting Files in a Shared Dropbox Folder Affect Other Users?

1. How do I free up space in Dropbox?

To free up space in Dropbox, you can start by deleting any files or folders that you no longer need. You can also try compressing large files or using selective sync to only sync specific folders to your computer. Additionally, you can purchase a Dropbox subscription with more storage space.

2. Can I delete files from Dropbox without deleting them from my computer?

Yes, you can use selective sync to choose which folders are synced to your computer. This allows you to delete files from Dropbox without deleting them from your computer.

3. Will my files be permanently deleted if I free up space in Dropbox?

No, when you free up space in Dropbox by deleting files, they will be moved to the "Deleted Files" folder. You can recover these files within 30 days if needed.

4. How can I see how much space I have left in Dropbox?

You can check your Dropbox storage space by going to your account settings. You can also view how much space each file or folder is using by hovering over it in your Dropbox folder on your computer.

5. Can I increase my Dropbox storage space for free?

Unfortunately, there is no way to increase your Dropbox storage space for free. However, you can purchase a subscription with more storage space if needed. You can also earn extra storage space by completing certain tasks or referring friends to sign up for Dropbox.