Does Distilled Water Conduct Electricity?

In summary, the conductivity of water is primarily due to the presence of dissolved ions. Distilled water may have low conductivity, but to reach a level of less than 10 megohm, it must be deionized and maintained in specialized systems. The polar nature of water molecules does not make it a conductive medium on its own, and an applied magnetic field would not cause a current. Tap water has significantly higher conductivity due to dissolved impurities.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does "pure" i.e. distilled water conduct any electricity? I thought that the answer was no...that the conductivity of water was a result of impurities. But I became confused by post # 3 here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64920

which explains that it has something to do with the polar nature of water molecules. Can someone clarify this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Distilled water may have low conductivity, put to get the conductivity down to the megohm range it must be deionized. Very low conductivity water can only be maintained in specialized systems, plastic pipes and continuous circulation are key elements. It is rumored (but not supported by MSDS) that very low conductivity (>10megohm) DI water can be fatal to drink because it (supposedly) disrupts the ion balance in the digestive system.

Thanks for the detailed response. Just to get back to basics...so conductivity in water is due to the presence of dissolved ions, right? Do water molecules themselves, despite their polarity, not constutute a conductive medium i.e. will they not move in the presence of an applied field? I'm thinking no...

Distilled water is reasonably conductive (less than or of the order of a megaohm-cm). Completely deionized ("pure") water has an AC resistivity of about 18 megaohm-cm at 60 Hz. This residual conductivity comes from the natural ionization of water (it's pH is 7, so there are 10^{-7} moles of H+ ions in a liter of water). However, tap water is about 4 or 5 orders of magnitude more conductive than pure water. This conductivity comes primarily from dissolved ions.

So, it's perfectly acceptable to say that the conductivity of "water" comes essentially from dissolved impurities.

The water molecule is intrinsically neutral so by itself cannot be a current carrier. I do not think that the post you mention is on target. A molecule can be polar (magnetically) but not ionized. IIRC The polar nature of water is due to the asymmetric arrangement of the constituent atoms, this is different from Ionization. With an application of a magnetic field water molecules would tend to align themselves, but this is not a current. To the best of my knowledge currents in water are due to dissolved ionic material (even a tiny bit of salt makes water very conducive).

What is distilled water?

Distilled water is water that has been purified through a process of boiling and condensation. This process removes impurities and minerals, resulting in water that is almost 100% pure.

Does distilled water conduct electricity?

Pure distilled water does not conduct electricity because it does not contain any dissolved ions or minerals that can carry an electric charge.

Why does distilled water not conduct electricity?

Distilled water does not contain any free ions that can carry an electric charge. Ions are necessary for electrical conductivity, and since distilled water has been stripped of all impurities and minerals, it does not have any ions present.

Can distilled water become conductive?

Yes, distilled water can become conductive if it comes into contact with substances that can dissolve in it and create ions. For example, if it is exposed to air, it can absorb carbon dioxide and form carbonic acid, which will then dissociate into ions and make the water conductive.

Is distilled water used in electrical experiments or devices?

Yes, distilled water is commonly used in electrical experiments and devices because of its high purity. It is used as a solvent in many chemical reactions and can also be used as a dielectric in capacitors. However, in some cases, a small amount of salt may be added to the distilled water to make it conductive for specific experiments or devices.