Does Electronegativity Vary in Different Bonded Atoms?

In summary, the speaker asks if a bond between an atom of carbon and an atom of oxygen results in the carbon having less electronegativity due to oxygen's higher attraction for electrons. They also inquire about why electrons get pushed towards the central carbon in a tertiary carbon molecule and if this would still occur without other groups attached. The response confirms that carbon has less electronegativity than oxygen and explains that the electron density is pulled towards oxygen due to its higher electronegativity. The speaker also realizes their mistake in trying to determine electronegativity in an element rather than a bonded molecule.
nandinitri
i wanted to ask this….
1. if an atom forms a bond with some atom of different element,say
C-O ,then since O attracts elec more ,can we say tht it now it has less electronegativity compared to only O?
2. in a tertiary carbon why do electrons get pushed towards the central C,is it because of the presence of some other group,say OH or +ve charge(carbocation) or would it still occur if they were not attached…??(cud it be bcoz of the slight electronegativity difference between C and H??)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
someone please help!

I don't know if I've interpreted your question correctly but,

1. yes, C has less electronegativity than oxygen. Remember, the electronegativity trend increases as you go up and to the right of the perioid table..so an arrow towards fluorine.
ch3
2. Tertiary carbon, ch3-c-ch3, wouldn't this molecule be nonpolar?
ch3

since there isn't really an electronegativity difference big enough..why would the electron density be pulled by the central carbon??

Isn't it C which attracts more electrons in C-O ?

No, oxygen attracts more electron density...it's more electronegative than C

keisu said:
No, oxygen attracts more electron density...it's more electronegative than C

absolutly right as dipole of oxygen more than carbon!

thanks all of you...i think one mistake i was making was you can't really tell the electronegativity in an element ...it happens in a bonded molecule ...(in my 1st question!

What is electronegativity?

Electronegativity is a measure of an atom's ability to attract and hold onto electrons. It is a fundamental property of elements and is measured on the Pauling scale.

How is electronegativity determined?

Electronegativity is determined by factors such as the number of protons in an atom's nucleus, the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electrons, and the shielding effect of inner electrons. The Pauling scale assigns values to each element based on these factors.

What is the significance of electronegativity?

Electronegativity plays a crucial role in chemical bonding, as atoms with different electronegativities will either share or transfer electrons to achieve a more stable state. This results in the formation of ionic, covalent, or polar covalent bonds.

Can electronegativity change?

Yes, electronegativity can change depending on the chemical environment an atom is in. For example, electronegativity tends to increase across a period in the periodic table due to the increased nuclear charge, but it can also vary within a group depending on other factors.

What are some examples of elements with high and low electronegativity?

Fluorine is the most electronegative element, with a value of 3.98 on the Pauling scale. Other highly electronegative elements include oxygen, nitrogen, and chlorine. On the other hand, elements with low electronegativity include francium, cesium, and rubidium. These elements tend to be found on the left side of the periodic table.