Distance between atoms in a bond

• Thread starter zachem62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Bond
In summary, the question asks about the observed distance between the two central carbon atoms in 1,3-butadiene and how it differs from the given bond lengths for C-C and C=C. The answer involves understanding the hybridization of the carbon atoms and the concept of conjugation. The central carbon atoms have sp2 hybridization and are involved in a conjugated system, causing the bond lengths to deviate from the given values.
zachem62
Here's the question:

The structure of 1,3-butadiene is usually written as H2C=CH–CH=CH2. The average bond lengths given in Table 9.2 in my textbook are: C–C of 154 pm and C=C of 133 pm. Explain the fact that the observed value of the distance between the two central carbon atoms in 1,3-butadiene is 146 pm.

Are the 2 central carbon atoms the 2 carbons that have a double bond between each other? If so, the distance of C=C is equal to 133pm so why would the distance between the 2 central carbon atoms that are double bonded be different? How else would I answer this question? THanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Number the carbon atoms from 1-4, beginning to end of chain; "central" means "middle" of chain.

Bystander said:
Number the carbon atoms from 1-4, beginning to end of chain; "central" means "middle" of chain.
so the central carbon atoms would be the ones in CH-CH. But I'm still not getting why the distance between these would be different than the given C-C distance.

You've seen/read a discussion of sp2, and/or sp3 hybrid orbitals?

Bystander said:
You've seen/read a discussion of sp2, and/or sp3 hybrid orbitals?
yeah i have, maybe its super obvious and I'm not seeing the connection?

What are the hybrids for 1, 2, 3, and 4?

Google conjugation.

Bystander said:
What are the hybrids for 1, 2, 3, and 4?
1 would be sp2, assuming it has 2 bonds to H and one double bond to C2
2 would be sp2, assuming it has 1 double bond to C1, 1 bond to H and another bond to C3
3 would be sp2, assuming it has 1 bond to C2, 1 bond to H and one double bond to C4
4 would be sp2, assuming it has one double bond to C3, and 2 bonds to H

What is the distance between atoms in a bond?

The distance between atoms in a bond is the distance between the nuclei of the two atoms. This distance can vary depending on the type of bond and the atoms involved.

How is the distance between atoms in a bond determined?

The distance between atoms in a bond is determined by the size of the atoms and the strength of the bond. It is typically measured in picometers (pm) or angstroms (Å).

What factors affect the distance between atoms in a bond?

The distance between atoms in a bond can be affected by the size and type of atoms, the number of shared electrons, and the strength of the bond. Other factors, such as temperature and pressure, may also play a role.

What is the average distance between atoms in a covalent bond?

The average distance between atoms in a covalent bond is typically around 100-200 pm. However, this can vary depending on the specific atoms and the strength of the bond.

How does the distance between atoms in a bond impact the properties of a molecule?

The distance between atoms in a bond can impact the strength and stability of a molecule. It can also affect the molecule's geometry and polarity, which can in turn affect its physical and chemical properties.