Does Iron Lose Mass When Exposed to Water and Oxygen?

In summary, when iron corrodes in water, it loses electrons to oxygen and forms iron ions. The oxygen then combines with water molecules to create hydroxide ions. Eventually, the iron ions and hydroxide ions react to form iron hydroxide. It is difficult to determine if the iron will lose mass when weighed, as some corrosion products may flake off while others may remain on the surface. However, the presence of oxides can slow down the corrosion process and prevent complete passivation.
GuMing
When iron corrodes in water, it loses electrons to oxygen and becomes iron ions. The oxygen retrieved the free electrons and along with water molecules formed hydroxide ions. Eventually, the iron ions and hydroxide ions react to form iron hydroxide. So based on this, would the iron loses mass when i weigh it, since iron hydroxide flakes off and would not stay on the surface of the iron? Am i right? Please correct me if i am incorrect! Thank you !:)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A lot depends on what is the real question - does it ask about a mass of the object, or mass of the iron?

Some of the corrosion products will flake off, some will stay on the surface. Hard to tell what would be the net effect, as it may change with time. In general I don't think it will flake off substantially, at least in the beginning, so the mass of the object (say nail) would go up.

Thank you for answering my question!
One more thing, if the oxide film (which is the corrosion products)stay on the surface of iron, would it slows down the corrosion process?

To some extent it should.

This is a process called passivation, that can completely stop the oxidation reaction. That's why aluminum or stainless steel don't corrode. For passivation you need oxides to adhere very strongly to the metal surface, which is why it doesn't work for iron.

there is no surface pacification for iron because the iron oxide formed is porous.

chill_factor said:
there is no surface pacification for iron because the iron oxide formed is porous.

Agreed, I should be more clear. There is no passivation in the exact meaning of the word, but presence of oxides still slows the corrosion.

1. What causes iron corrosion in water?

Iron corrosion in water is primarily caused by a chemical reaction between the iron metal and oxygen in the water. This reaction, known as oxidation, results in the formation of iron oxide, commonly known as rust.

2. How does water quality affect iron corrosion?

The quality of water, specifically its pH level and dissolved oxygen content, can greatly impact the rate of iron corrosion. Water with a lower pH (more acidic) and higher levels of dissolved oxygen will increase the rate of corrosion, while alkaline water and lower oxygen levels can slow down the process.

3. What are the consequences of iron corrosion in water?

Iron corrosion in water can lead to a variety of consequences, including the degradation of iron pipes and plumbing systems, discoloration and staining of surfaces, and potential contamination of drinking water. It can also impact the taste and odor of water, making it unappealing to consume.

4. How can iron corrosion in water be prevented?

One way to prevent iron corrosion in water is by using corrosion-resistant materials for pipes and plumbing systems, such as stainless steel or plastic. Another method is by treating the water with chemicals or installing a water softener to reduce its acidity and oxygen levels. Regular maintenance and inspections of plumbing systems can also help prevent iron corrosion.

5. Is iron corrosion in water harmful to human health?

In most cases, iron corrosion in water is not harmful to human health. However, if the corrosion is severe, it can lead to elevated levels of iron in drinking water, which may cause gastrointestinal issues such as stomach pain and diarrhea. Additionally, if the water source is contaminated with other harmful substances, such as lead, the corrosion may increase the risk of exposure to these contaminants.