Does My Router Need a Faraday Cage to Protect Me From Harmful Radiation?

In summary: And it will look pretty nifty on your bedside table.In summary, putting a household router in a Faraday cage will not protect you from RF radiation that could damage your body.
Ainokea
Is there a need to put a household router in a faraday cage to cut down on radiated signals that could damage the human body? I would think the manufacturer's would have shielded what needs to be shielded. I see these advertised on Amazon among other places. My router sits about 6 feet from my bed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ainokea said:
Is there a need to put a household router in a faraday cage to cut down on radiated signals that could damage the human body? I would think the manufacturer's would have shielded what needs to be shielded. I see these advertised on Amazon among other places. My router sits about 6 feet from my bed.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I assume you're not asking about WiFi routers, since putting one in a shielded enclosure would greatly impair the WiFi performance. :wink:

All routers (and pretty much all electronic appliances) need to be tested for electromagnetic interference (EMI) before they can be sold. In the US, the testing is done per FCC rules, and you end up getting the ability to put a FCC logo on your product label to show that you've passed that testing. EMI testing is to ensure that you will not put out RF signals that can cause interference with radio, TV and other users of the airwaves. The limits are pretty low, so you are not going to be exposed to much of anything from a non-RF-transmitting appliance.

And for "intentional radiators" like WiFi routers, cellphones, etc., there are limits to the amplitude of the RF they can put out at their licensed frequencies. That is also part of the FCC testing in the US (and other agency testing in other countries). Again, the allowed RF output from such devices (that can be located close to you) is fairly small.

https://motorolamentor.zendesk.com/...ments/209465468/MG7550_Label_SSID_Sec_Key.jpg

1583690807404.png

• Love
Likes davenn, sysprog, dlgoff and 1 other person
Ainokea said:
Is there a need to put a household router in a faraday cage to cut down on radiated signals that could damage the human body?
If you put the router in a Faraday cage how is it supposed to work then?

Likes davenn and sysprog
Ainokea said:
Is there a need to put a household router in a faraday cage to cut down on radiated signals that could damage the human body?
Fear is a great marketing tool. The need to put your router in a Faraday cage is the same as the need to line your hat with tinfoil.
Ainokea said:
My router sits about 6 feet from my bed.
Then why not build a Faraday cage from brass flywire that encloses the bed. That will give a significant attenuation to RF radiation. It will improve your health by keeping out biting insects.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G, davenn, phinds and 1 other person

1. What is a Faraday cage?

A Faraday cage is a metallic enclosure that is designed to block electromagnetic fields, including radio waves and radiation. It works by conducting the electromagnetic energy around the outside of the cage, protecting anything inside from the harmful effects of radiation.

2. Why would I need a Faraday cage for my router?

Many people are concerned about the potential health risks of exposure to radiation from electronic devices, including routers. While there is no conclusive evidence that the radiation emitted from routers is harmful, some individuals may choose to use a Faraday cage as an extra precaution.

3. How do I know if my router needs a Faraday cage?

If you are concerned about the potential health risks of radiation from your router, you may consider using a Faraday cage. However, it is important to note that there is no scientific evidence to suggest that routers emit harmful levels of radiation. It is always best to consult with a medical professional or do further research before making a decision.

4. Can I make my own Faraday cage for my router?

Yes, it is possible to make your own Faraday cage for your router using materials such as aluminum foil or wire mesh. However, it is important to note that the effectiveness of a homemade Faraday cage may vary and it is recommended to consult with a professional for optimal protection.

5. Are there any other ways to protect myself from router radiation?

Aside from using a Faraday cage, there are other ways to reduce your exposure to router radiation. These include keeping your distance from the router, using a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi, and limiting the amount of time you spend near the router. It is also important to note that most modern routers have built-in safety features to limit radiation levels.