Protecting Your Computer from Solar Storms - Is a Faraday Cage Enough?

In summary, the event that caused the power outages was a significant solar storm that could have caused irreparable damage to electronic equipment.
Icositetraedro
How did you find PF?: Via Google search

From what I understand in scientific publications, if there is a strong solar storm directed towards the Earth, the effects would be such that any electronic equipment would suffer irreparable damage. I ask, if I put my computer inside a Faraday cage would it also be damaged?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

While Faraday cages can block some level of transmission, it’s always possible that an incredibly strong transmission can reach the gear inside the cage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Notice that what the cage can block is dependent on the mesh spacing and the wavelength of the transmission ie slow changing transmissions ie large wavelength can get through.

Hello and :welcome: !

What for? Our power supplies will be down for years if the storm is heavy enough. They estimate that it will take up to ten years to replace all the insulators in transformation facilities.

Couple that solar storm report with the UN report on climate last week plus new COVID variants more deadly than Delta, plus all the volcanoes and earthquakes, and I guess the end of the world is nigh.

1629306310350.png

@fresh_42 is right. If the world has no electricity, there's not much use for computers.

Welcome to PF. :smile:

Icositetraedro said:
I ask, if I put my computer inside a Faraday cage would it also be damaged?

In addition to using a shielded room to protect equipment from the strong ElectroMagnetic Interference (EMI), you need to put filters and transient suppression devices on the cables that connect the equipment inside the room to power and data cables outside of the room. It does little good to use a shielded room if the cables are not filtered and protected too.

1629307384719.png

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/19537459/series-81-71-shielding-systems-ets-lindgren

anorlunda said:
Couple that solar storm report with the UN report on climate last week plus new COVID variants more deadly than Delta, plus all the volcanoes and earthquakes, and I guess the end of the world is nigh.

View attachment 287727

@fresh_42 is right. If the world has no electricity, there's not much use for computers.
They make good conversation pieces, door stops and coasters.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda

1. How does a solar storm affect my computer?

A solar storm is a burst of radiation and charged particles from the sun that can disrupt electronic devices, including computers. This can lead to malfunctions, data loss, and even permanent damage to your computer.

2. What is a Faraday cage and how does it protect my computer from solar storms?

A Faraday cage is a metal enclosure that blocks external electric fields. It works by channeling the electric current around the outside of the cage, keeping the inside protected. This can shield your computer from the effects of a solar storm.

3. Is a Faraday cage enough to protect my computer from a solar storm?

While a Faraday cage can provide some protection, it may not be enough to completely shield your computer from a strong solar storm. It is important to also have backups of your important data and to unplug your computer during a solar storm to minimize the risk of damage.

4. How can I test if my Faraday cage is effective?

You can test the effectiveness of your Faraday cage by placing a cell phone inside and calling it. If the phone does not ring or receive a signal, then the cage is working properly. You can also use a radio to test for signal interference.

5. Can I make my own Faraday cage to protect my computer from solar storms?

Yes, you can make your own Faraday cage using materials such as aluminum foil, a metal trash can, or a metal filing cabinet. However, it is important to ensure that the cage is properly constructed and sealed to be effective in protecting your computer from a solar storm.