Does our perception of time vary based on our location in the universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity of simultaneity and the idea that the perception of "now" can differ depending on an individual's location in the universe. The topic is explored through a hypothetical scenario involving two people sleeping and waking up at different times. Ultimately, it is concluded that this concept is more related to psychology rather than physics.
James Mitchell
My understanding of the concepts involved in my question are very limited so please forgive me if this is an utterly stupid question..

I recently learned that depending on where you are in the universe, your perception of 'now' changes. I was pondering this whilst trying to get to sleep, next to my already sleeping partner. She always drops off around ten minutes after we switch the lights off, whereas I take at least an hour. Which got me wondering:

For arguments sake, let's say my girlfriend falls asleep at exactly 10pm, myself an hour later at 11. We hypothetically both sleep soundly through the night without disturbance of any kind, and wake up at exactly the same moment the following morning at 7am when the alarm goes off. Because my conscious mind has experienced an hours worth of time more than her, does that put her 'now' out of sync with mine? Could every interaction we have occur to her an hour earlier than it does for me?

As I said I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about, for all I know this has nothing whatsoever to do with physics!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, nothing to do with physics.

Likes James Mitchell
Fair enough! Thank you for replying

The relativity of simultaneity that you were probably thinking about in the first place, has got nothing to do with individual perception of the passage of time. It's about whether two observers can objectively agree on the time and place of some event, providing the observers are not stationary w/r to each other (and moving at high speeds, as otherwise it's an imperceptible effect).
The issue you ended up thinking about has got more to do with psychology than any physics. You're both collocated in space-time, so relativity of simultaneity doesn't come into play.

So the amount of time we consciously experience has no bearing on our perceived placement within it, I see. That makes sense, thanks!

1. What is conscious perception of time?

Conscious perception of time refers to the subjective experience of time passing. It is the individual's awareness and understanding of the passage of time, which can vary greatly from person to person.

2. How does our brain perceive time?

Our brain uses a variety of processes and neural networks to perceive time, including the synchronization of neural oscillations, the integration of sensory information, and the use of memory and attention to track the passage of time.

3. What factors can influence our perception of time?

Our perception of time can be influenced by a variety of factors, including our emotions, attention, memory, and external stimuli such as music or visual cues. Additionally, certain neurological conditions or drugs can alter our perception of time.

4. Is our perception of time consistent?

No, our perception of time is not consistent. It can vary based on our current state of mind, emotions, and external factors. For example, time may seem to pass more quickly when we are engaged in a stimulating activity, and slower when we are bored.

5. Can we control our perception of time?

While we may not have complete control over our perception of time, we can influence it through various techniques such as mindfulness and meditation. By focusing our attention and being more present in the moment, we can alter our perception of time and make it feel more expansive.