Does the normal force really equal mg on earth? I think not....

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the normal force and gravitational force, and introduces the concept of centripetal acceleration in this context. The speaker suggests that the normal force should be written as N=mg-mac, taking into account the centripetal acceleration. They also mention the importance of considering this factor when solving for N=mg, and suggest that it should be included in basic physics books. However, they are unsure if this is a commonly accepted concept and question the accuracy of the Wikipedia article on normal force. The conversation ends with a comment on the variability of g due to other effects.
IntegralBeing
Dear community, I am very ashamed to have not noticed this result but well into my physics major, and I would like to share it with you. I am not sure it is right, which is my reason for posting it.

The normal force is classically referred as
N = mg (1)
but if that was really the case; it is, if the Normal force completely canceled the gravitational force; then there would be no centripetal acceleration which were to keep a body on Earth's surface accelerating downwards to stay in contact with the planet.

Indeed, I think it is more like
N = k(mg) (2)
where k is the fraction of the gravitational force which does not contribute to the centripetal acceleration, which then is canceled by the Normal force.

Thus this centripetal acceleration is

ac = mv2/R (3)
with R being the radius of Earth, i.e. 6.37 × 106 m, and v the tangential velocity of a body on the surface being 469 m/s,

ac = 0.035 m/s2 (4)

then if we have
mg = N + Fc
= k(mg) + mac

then
k = (g - ac)/g = 0.997 (5)

First, this seems to be completely negligible, but it is a reason not to solve N = mg with more than 3 decimals of precision if one does not account for the centripetal acceleration of the studied body.

Second, I think it is a mistake not to introduce the normal force as N=mg-mac, mainly because of its theoretical significance. I, as an undergraduate, wasn't aware of this and I think it deserves minimal exposition at least in basic physics books. It is nice to have N = mg, but the normal force DOES NOT equal the gravitational force. It does not cancel it.

Am I wrong on this? I looked up the wikipedia article of normal force on Earth and it does not include the centripetal acceleration, which I think is wrong and misleading.

This is my first 'not very short' post; I am sorry for any errors! Please leave your comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
IntegralBeing said:
First, this seems to be completely negligible, but it is a reason not to solve N = mg with more than 3 decimals of precision if one does not account for the centripetal acceleration of the studied body.
If you would do this you would first need to know g to that precision. Typically, any centripetal acceleration would be accounted for at that stage - it is just a matter of going to a non-inertial frame. Note that g is not the same all over the Earth, it also varies due to other effects.

Likes IntegralBeing
Yes, "centrifugal force" (the tendency to fly away from the center of rotation) does affect how fast an object accelerates downward. I remember learning that the value of g is specified, for different places on the Earth. There is more than just the centripetal force, which varies as you move around. The density of the Earth is hardly uniform. Different locations are at various altitudes (distance from center).

I think it is easier for scientists to experimentally determine the value of g for a location and publish it, then having to separately account for centripetal force.

Likes IntegralBeing
Orodruin said:
If you would do this you would first need to know g to that precision. Typically, any centripetal acceleration would be accounted for at that stage.

Imagine you measure some g accounting also for any centripetal acceleration. If you were to calculate the acceleration of free fall, this would then be the g which you measured, Being the free fall force just mg. But this means the g you measured is not the approximation of G*Mearth/Rearth2 but the approximation of G*Mearth/Rearth2 - vearth rotation2/Rearth.

In this way, then we cannot really say that mg is the gravitational force but just the 'free fall' force, can we?

I am really confused by this. It isn't as trivial as I thought

IntegralBeing said:
But this means the g you measured is not the approximation of G*Mearth/Rearth2 but the approximation of G*Mearth/Rearth2 - vearth rotation2/Rearth.
Clearly ##GM_\oplus/R_\oplus^2## is an approximation. It assumes that the Earth is a spherically symmetric non-rotating object - it isn't. It is a good approximation for most applications.

IntegralBeing said:
In this way, then we cannot really say that mg is the gravitational force but just the 'free fall' force, can we?

I am really confused by this. It isn't as trivial as I thought

What ##g## is depends on your reference frame. Gravitation is an inertial force and going to an accelerated frame is going to change the inertial force. In particular, if you go to a frame in free fall - there is no inertial force at all. There is nothing strange about that. When we talk about "g" it usually means something like "the inertial force acceleration in a frame at rest relative to the Earth at some place of the Earth's surface". Its value depends on the place chosen.

Likes IntegralBeing
IntegralBeing said:
then if we have
mg = N + Fc
= k(mg) + mac

then
k = (g - ac)/g = 0.997 (5)
You have assumed that the two forces act along the same direction but that's only the case at the equator. The forces are VECTORS. There is No centripetal acceleration at the poles and the direction is in the plane of the circle of latitude, anywhere else.
As other people have mentioned, there are many other potential factors involved so where do you stop.? He who rides a tiger cannot dismount.

Likes IntegralBeing
sophiecentaur said:
As other people have mentioned, there are many other potential factors involved so where do you stop.?
The answer to this should be pretty evident. You stop when you have reached your desired precision. For most applications it is not necessary to know g to sub-% precision.

Orodruin said:
The answer to this should be pretty evident. You stop when you have reached your desired precision. For most applications it is not necessary to know g to sub-% precision.
It can b e relevant when buying and selling valuable substances like gold but only just. There are apocryphal tales of crooked dealers buying gold at the equator and selling it at high latitudes but I do wonder. (Plus, a Balance works correctly everywhere and that's what's used in the trade)

sophiecentaur said:
There are apocryphal tales of crooked dealers buying gold at the equator and selling it at high latitudes but I do wonder. (Plus, a Balance works correctly everywhere and that's what's used in the trade)
The obvious counter measure to this is to not use a spring-based displacement scale but a balance or spring-based period scale. If I was a crooked dealer I would find it much simpler to tamper with the scale calibration/counter weights so it is likely hearsay.

Likes sophiecentaur
IntegralBeing
  • Any centripetal force you experience is due to the spin of the earth.
  • The Earth spins about the polar axis.
  • The rotation at the poles is zero and this increases to a maximum as you move to the equator.
Now imagine your situation at the equator. The forces acting on you are your own weight (W) and the reaction (N), but these are not equal in size because you are accelerating towards the Earth's centre. N is smaller than W and by an amount which provides the centripetal force (C) which is needed to make you accelerate. You can write:

W-N=C

The difference is very small and you can look it up. As you move to the poles the centripetal force required gets smaller and N gets closer to W. At the poles W=N.

Likes IntegralBeing
IntegralBeing said:
I, as an undergraduate, wasn't aware of this
When I was an undergraduate about 45 years ago, it was at least mentioned in our introductory physics course. I'm pretty sure we did exercises involving "apparent gravity" versus "actual gravity" at the equator at least. Also, I remember using a simplified formula to calculate a "standard" value for (apparent) g at our location for laboratory exercises, taking latitude into account. It may have been one of the formulas mentioned in the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

IntegralBeing said:
...and I think it deserves minimal exposition at least in basic physics books...

I think that the topic is addressed in the textbook "Physics, Parts I and II" by D. Halliday and R. Resnick (John Wiley & Sons, Inc.).

jtbell said:
When I was an undergraduate about 45 years ago, it was at least mentioned in our introductory physics course. I'm pretty sure we did exercises involving "apparent gravity" versus "actual gravity" at the equator at least.
I had the same experience at about the same general time... and also much emphasis on developing the ability to easily and quickly decide which effects will be significant and which can be ignored in any particular problem.

I will add my voice. Yes this happens. Yes you weigh 0.05% less at the equator than at the poles, and yes in my experience this is pointed out in freshman physics. It is also pointed out that the Earth bulges at the equator for this reason, and to add an even less significant effect, that means you are further from the center of the Earth when at sea level at the equator than at the poles and so weigh even a tiny bit less than less.

Looks to me like at the poles and along the equator the orientation of G is perpendicularly normal to a tangent plane at the Earth's surface, but at latitudes* between the poles and equator these orientations' distal radial projections increasingly approach being parallel to the equatorial plain. A tall enough structure** would either have to curve with altitude to maintain alignment (longitudinal compression through a curved line) or remain straight (sustaining differential orientation of "normal" with altitude as bending stress, requiring increasingly slanted upper floors to maintain local perpendicular normal, etc.)...

* - wonder if the deviation from geometric normal occurs at a particular N/S latitudes?
**- wonder how high before these things need accounting in the architectural design?

1. How is the normal force related to gravity?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it. On Earth, the normal force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force of gravity acting on an object. This means that the normal force and gravity are directly related, with the normal force always equaling the weight of the object in Earth's gravitational field.

2. Why might the normal force not equal mg on Earth?

While the normal force and gravity are directly related, there are certain situations where the normal force may not equal mg on Earth. For example, if an object is on an inclined plane, the normal force will be less than mg because the force of gravity is acting at an angle. Additionally, in situations where an object is experiencing other forces, such as air resistance or friction, the normal force may not equal mg on Earth.

3. How does the normal force change with position on Earth?

The normal force does not change with position on Earth. As long as an object is stationary and in contact with a surface, the normal force will be equal to mg, regardless of its position on Earth. This is because the force of gravity is constant on Earth's surface, and the normal force is always equal and opposite to it.

4. Does the normal force always equal mg on all planets?

No, the normal force does not always equal mg on all planets. This is because the strength of gravity varies depending on the mass and radius of a planet. For example, on a planet with a larger mass or radius than Earth, the normal force may be greater than mg, and on a planet with a smaller mass or radius, the normal force may be less than mg.

5. How can we prove that the normal force equals mg on Earth?

The equality of the normal force and mg on Earth is a fundamental principle in physics known as Newton's Third Law. This law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of an object on Earth's surface, the force of gravity pulling the object down is countered by the normal force pushing the object up. This can be proven through experiments and mathematical calculations using Newton's laws of motion.