Does the speed of light imply ....

In summary, the speed of light is the speed of propagation for all electromagnetic radiation in a vacuum, including the visible light range. This is an empirical fact and is not dependent on the wavelength or frequency of the radiation. The term "light" typically refers to the visible range of the electromagnetic spectrum, but it is important to note that all components of the spectrum, including non-visible radiation, propagate at the speed of light. This was a key concept in Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that there is a limiting speed for all objects, including electromagnetic waves.
finney
TL;DR Summary
Does the speed of light imply that in its property as a wave it encompasses the entire known electromagnetic spectrum?
Does the speed of light imply that in its property as a wave it encompasses the entire known electromagnetic spectrum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking whether all components of the EM spectrum propagate at the speed of light? If so, the answer is yes.

Likes vanhees71 and russ_watters
no. I am wondering if all the components of the EM spectrum are what we know of as light?

finney said:
no. I am wondering if all the components of the EM spectrum are what we know of as light?
No. Light is EM radiation with a wavelength in a particular range (about 400-700nm). There's no difference between light and other EM radiation apart from the wavelength (and frequency), but light is by definition only the stuff we can see with our eyes.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, russ_watters and topsquark
Ibix said:
No. Light is EM radiation with a wavelength in a particular range (about 400-700nm). There's no difference between light and other EM radiation apart from the wavelength (and frequency), but light is by definition only the stuff we can see with our eyes.
I think qualifying the particular range of the spectrum as "visible light" instead of just "light", is more descriptive of what one is talking about. As we know, all EM radiation propagates at the speed of light. Calling the visible component just "light" might make one wonder why this particular range of the spectrum is singled out and whether radiation in the other ranges does not propagate at the same speed. It seems that this is the gist of OP's question. Indeed if one googles "EM spectrum/images", one gets variants of this with "visible" instead of "light" in the visible range.

EM_Spectrum.png

Likes vanhees71, malawi_glenn, russ_watters and 2 others
kuruman said:
It seems that this is the gist of OP's question.
Maybe. I'm still not sure. Perhaps the OP will add some clarity.

Likes topsquark
finney said:
As others have said, your question is not clear but as I interpret it, no, the speed of light does not imply what you think it implies. it IS true that the entire EM spectrum is "light" in its most general sense ** and it is true that it all travels at c, but it is NOT true that the speed "c" implies the spectrum, it is a characteristic of the spectrum.

** As @Ibix pointed out, there is a more restrictive definition of the word "light" which includes only that part of the spectrum visible to the human eye.

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
It's a little loose to say "the speed of light". It would be more precise to say "the speed of propagation of electromagnetic radiation in a vacuum" but that is a bit of a mouthful.

Albert Einstein considered the possibility that different wavelengths traveled at different speeds. At the time it was clear it wasn't true for visible light. If it were, far away stars would appear as a streak instead of a dot. "Everything would be all mixed up!" quoth he. [I imagine he considered the question in more depth than have I].

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
finney said:
Summary: Does the speed of light imply that in its property as a wave it encompasses the entire known electromagnetic spectrum?

It may be worth noting that gravitational waves travel at the speed of light in a vacuum (c) but they are not electromagnetic waves.

Likes jbriggs444, topsquark and Ibix
Hornbein said:
It's a little loose to say "the speed of light". It would be more precise to say "the speed of propagation of electromagnetic radiation in a vacuum" but that is a bit of a mouthful.

Albert Einstein considered the possibility that different wavelengths traveled at different speeds. At the time it was clear it wasn't true for visible light. If it were, far away stars would appear as a streak instead of a dot. "Everything would be all mixed up!" quoth he. [I imagine he considered the question in more depth than have I].
A better name would be "the limiting speed of relativity", because the essence of relativity is that there is a limiting speed. That electromagnetic waves in vacuo have this speed of propagation is an empirical fact, i.e., that the em. field is precisely massless. The current upper limit of this "photon mass" is ##10^{-18} \text{eV}##.

Likes topsquark

1. Does the speed of light imply that time travel is possible?

No, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which energy, matter, and information can travel in the universe. It is not possible to travel faster than the speed of light, so time travel is currently considered impossible based on our current understanding of physics.

2. Does the speed of light imply that nothing can travel faster than it?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, as it would require infinite energy to do so.

3. Does the speed of light imply that the universe has a finite size?

No, the speed of light does not necessarily imply a finite size of the universe. The universe is constantly expanding, and the speed of light is the maximum speed at which information can travel within the universe. However, the universe may still be infinite in size.

4. Does the speed of light imply that light always travels at the same speed?

Yes, the speed of light is a constant in a vacuum and is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This is one of the fundamental principles of Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. Does the speed of light imply that the laws of physics are the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, the speed of light being a constant in a vacuum is one of the key principles of the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in all inertial frames of reference. This means that the laws of physics are the same everywhere in the universe, regardless of an observer's location or motion.