Does the Universe have a centre, yes or no?

• I
  • Thread starter KoenGerits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: This center would be the most distant object we could see.In summary, the universe does not have a literal center, and it is possible that it has a physical border at its edges.
KoenGerits
Does the universe have a literal centre (i.e. a physical point in space where the distances to the edges of the universe in all directions are equal)? Assuming the universe isn't infinite, which would make it far easier to understand that it doesn't have a centre, or is a 2d sphere like the skin of a balloon. Just to clarify: I'm not asking about the centre of the expansion of the universe. I understand that space itself is what's expanding, not the matter inside of it.

I hope someone can help me out,

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/search/3079679/?q=center+of+universe&o=relevance&c[node]=71

Likes Fervent Freyja
1oldman2 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/search/3079679/?q=center+of+universe&o=relevance&c[node]=71
Well... wow. I can see that I'm surely not the only one breaking my head over this. Thanks!

Likes Fervent Freyja and 1oldman2
I'd like to imagine the situation as follows, as quoted often before but here maybe more radically:
No, the universe has no center, i.e. similar as there is no center on the curved surface of a ball, there is no center in the curved volume of the universe. This is valid for a stationary closed universe as well as for an apparently (quoting Hubble) expanding universe. Every observer at any point and at any time would see (in the mean) the same horizon with galaxies of growing redshift z and the blackbody-background radiation at 2,75 K.
Further more, e.g. an observer A on a galaxy A who observes a galaxy B at redshift z = 10 is as well observed by an observer B on galaxy B at redshift z = 10.
So, any observer A and B at any time have "equal rights and equal duties": Being an observer he or she feels as being in the center, contrarywise being observed he or she is in the distance or at the "edge" for the other far distant observers.
I think this is quite nice conceivable and provides interesting consequences (but I did not check, if it meets the current theory of standard cosmology).

Well these are all theories aren't they. We don't know for sure that the universe is completely flat. If it is not, it could be bounded with a physical border at the edges and a center.

1. Is there a specific location in the Universe that can be considered its center?

No, there is no specific location in the Universe that can be considered its center. The concept of a "center" implies a fixed point from which all other points radiate, but the Universe is constantly expanding and does not have a defined center point.

2. Can we determine the center of the Universe based on our observations?

No, we cannot determine the center of the Universe based on our observations. Our current understanding of the Universe is limited by the observable horizon, meaning that we can only observe a finite portion of the Universe. This makes it impossible to identify a single central point.

3. Is the Big Bang the center of the Universe?

No, the Big Bang is not the center of the Universe. The Big Bang is a theoretical event that marked the beginning of the Universe, but it did not occur at a specific point in space. Instead, it happened everywhere in the Universe simultaneously.

4. Is it possible for the Universe to have multiple centers?

Yes, it is possible for the Universe to have multiple centers. Some theories suggest that the Universe may have multiple centers of expansion, where galaxies are moving away from each other in different directions. However, this does not mean that there is a fixed central point for the entire Universe.

5. Why is the concept of a center in the Universe important?

The concept of a center in the Universe is important because it helps us understand the structure and evolution of the Universe. By studying the distribution of matter and energy in the Universe, we can gain insights into the processes that have shaped it over billions of years. However, as our understanding of the Universe evolves, the concept of a center may become less relevant.