How can the universe be infinitely big?

• I
  • Thread starter bluemoonKY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, there is significant debate among cosmologists about whether the size of the universe is finite or infinite. While Stephen Hawking's book suggests that the universe expanded at a finite rate after the Big Bang, there is no contradiction between this and the possibility of the universe being infinitely large. The concept of the Hilbert Hotel paradox further highlights the counterintuitive nature of an infinite universe. However, it is unclear if there will ever be concrete evidence or proof of the universe's true size.
bluemoonKY
I was just watching a video in which the famous physicist Brian Greene was interviewed about his book The Hidden Reality. During this interview, Greene said that it is a matter of significant debate among cosmologists about whether the size of the universe in finite or infinite. In Stephen Hawking's book A Brief History of Time, Hawking says that the universe expanded at a finite rate after the Big Bang. If the universe expanded at a finite rate after the Big Bang, how can the universe now be infinitely big? Before I saw this interview of Brian Greene, I thought that no cosmologist who believes in the Big Bang Theory would think that the universe was infinitely big.

My sources on this are the interview of Brian Greene that I watched on youtube and Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time.

Space news on Phys.org
There is no contradiction at all between the universe being infinite (then and now) and expanding between then and now. Google The Hilbert Hotel.

The consensus these days seems to be that it most likely IS infinite but it's not clear that we'll ever have any actual evidence/proof of that.

Likes bluemoonKY
Phinds, I agree with the person who wrote the Wikipedia article about the Hilbert Hotel paradox that it's counterintuitive, and it's interesting. I now agree with you that there is no contradiction between the universe being infinite and expanding between then and now.

bluemoonKY said:
Phinds, I agree with the person who wrote the Wikipedia article about the Hilbert Hotel paradox that it's counterintuitive, and it's interesting. I now agree with you that there is no contradiction between the universe being infinite and expanding between then and now.
Yeah, counter-intuitive and a bit weird when you first encounter it.

I was thinking about the implications of an infinitely large universe, and at first, for about one second, I thought to myself: The universe could not be infinitely big because that would require the Mass/energy in one spot at the singularity to be infinitely big mass/energy. But then one second later, I remember that whenever I read about the Big Bang, my sources say that the Mass/Energy at the moment of the Big Bang was infinitely big, so there is no contradiction. Indeed, the contradiction would be if the universe was not infinitely big.

bluemoonKY said:
My sources on this are the interview of Brian Greene that I watched on youtube and Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time.

Neither of which are valid sources here on PF. Please take some time to understand the actual theories involved from sources other than pop science books or videos. In the meantime, phinds' post is correct and answers the question as best it can be. Thread closed.

Likes BvU

1. How do we know that the universe is infinitely big?

Scientists use various methods, such as measuring the expansion of the universe and studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, to determine that the universe is indeed infinite in size.

2. What does it mean for something to be infinitely big?

When we say that the universe is infinitely big, it means that there is no limit or boundary to its size. It extends infinitely in all directions and is not contained within a finite space.

3. Is it possible for our human brains to comprehend the concept of infinity?

The concept of infinity can be difficult for our finite minds to grasp. However, scientists use mathematical models and theories to understand and explain the concept of an infinitely big universe.

4. Does the idea of an infinitely big universe conflict with the idea of a beginning or origin of the universe?

Not necessarily. The concept of an infinite universe does not necessarily negate the idea of a beginning or origin. It simply means that the universe has no end, but it may still have had a beginning.

5. Will we ever be able to explore the entire universe if it is infinitely big?

It is highly unlikely that humans will ever be able to explore the entire universe, as it is constantly expanding and there are limits to our technology and lifespan. However, we can continue to learn and discover more about the universe through scientific research and exploration.