Domain of definition differential equations

In summary: Aha, good to know,our professor is quite picky. Also a friend of mine pointed out that we can simplify the fraction to be 72/11. Thanks for the answer as always!
arhzz
Homework Statement
Check for the biggest domain of definition
Relevant Equations
DE
Hello.

Considering this DE;

$$ x^7 x' = (x^8-300)t^6 $$ with inital value x(0) = -2

Now the solution for the initial value should be

C = -44;

And for x(t) I get ;

$$x(t) = (-44 e^{\frac{8}{7} t^7} + 300)^{\frac{1}{8}}$$

Now to get the biggest domain of definition I did this;

$$ -44 e^{\frac{8}{7} t^7} + 300 > 0 $$

And tried to isolate t; Here is how the manipulation went

$$ -44 e^{\frac{8}{7} t^7} > -300 $$ Now I divided with -44 and since I am dividing with a negative number the > sign should turn into <.

$$ e^{\frac{8}{7} t^7} < \frac{300}{44} $$ ln on both sides

$$ \frac{8}{7} t^7 < ln |\frac{300}{44}| $$ now dividing with 8/7 (I wrote it as multiplication with 7/8) and the 7th root I wrote as a fraction 1/7,hence I get;

$$ t < ( \frac{7}{8} ln |\frac{300}{44}| )^\frac{1}{7} $$

Is my solution correct? Am I allowed to solve these types of problems this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
arhzz said:
Homework Statement:: Check for the biggest domain of definition
Relevant Equations:: DE

Hello.

Considering this DE;

$$ x^7 x' = (x^8-300)t^6 $$ with inital value x(0) = -2

Now the solution for the initial value should be

C = -44;

And for x(t) I get ;

$$x(t) = (-44 e^{\frac{8}{7} t^7} + 300)^{\frac{1}{8}}$$

Now to get the biggest domain of definition I did this;

$$ -44 e^{\frac{8}{7} t^7} + 300 > 0 $$

And tried to isolate t; Here is how the manipulation went

$$ -44 e^{\frac{8}{7} t^7} > -300 $$ Now I divided with -44 and since I am dividing with a negative number the > sign should turn into <.

$$ e^{\frac{8}{7} t^7} < \frac{300}{44} $$ ln on both sides

$$ \frac{8}{7} t^7 < ln |\frac{300}{44}| $$ now dividing with 8/7 (I wrote it as multiplication with 7/8) and the 7th root I wrote as a fraction 1/7,hence I get;

$$ t < ( \frac{7}{8} ln |\frac{300}{44}| )^\frac{1}{7} $$

Is my solution correct? Am I allowed to solve these types of problems this way.
Looks good to me. The only thing I spotted was that you wrote ##\ln|\frac{300}{44}|## in your solution. Here the absolute values aren't needed, since 300/44 is already positive.

Likes arhzz and Delta2
Mark44 said:
Looks good to me. The only thing I spotted was that you wrote ##\ln|\frac{300}{44}|## in your solution. Here the absolute values aren't needed, since 300/44 is already positive.
Aha, good to know,our professor is quite picky. Also a friend of mine pointed out that we can simplify the fraction to be 72/11. Thanks for the answer as always!

1. What is the domain of definition for a differential equation?

The domain of definition for a differential equation is the set of all values of the independent variable for which the equation is defined and has a unique solution. This is typically specified in the initial conditions of the equation.

2. How is the domain of definition determined for a differential equation?

The domain of definition can be determined by examining the coefficients and variables in the differential equation and identifying any values that would make it undefined, such as dividing by zero or taking the square root of a negative number.

3. Can the domain of definition change for a differential equation?

Yes, the domain of definition can change if the equation is modified or if different initial conditions are specified. It is important to always check the domain of definition before solving a differential equation to ensure that the solution is valid.

4. What happens if a value in the domain of definition is not included in the initial conditions of the differential equation?

If a value in the domain of definition is not included in the initial conditions, then the solution to the differential equation may not be unique. In some cases, this may lead to multiple solutions or no solution at all.

5. How does the domain of definition affect the behavior of a differential equation?

The domain of definition can greatly impact the behavior of a differential equation. If the domain is limited, it may restrict the possible solutions and lead to a more predictable behavior. On the other hand, a larger domain may result in more complex and unpredictable behavior.